2D an basic art from my first game - female protagonist

beenguin

Jul 28, 2018
I still dont know how drawing faces, bodies directly but I learned some tricks. I used SAI and PS. I am trying draw better by time and I wonder yours comments and suggestions. I'm ready for every comment bad or good. thank you! full_g.jpg face_g.jpg

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Proportions are good. Color and shading isn't. What you've done is pillow shading when you want to consider light sources.

You seem to have some problem coloring with the colors not filling where there is aliasing around lines. Are you drawing with a tablet? I would recommend considering doing vector art, its more forgiving than painting. I personally use Inkscape and trace reference images.

Reactions: beenguin

beenguin

Jul 28, 2018
Proportions are good. Color and shading isn't. What you've done is pillow shading when you want to consider light sources.

You seem to have some problem coloring with the colors not filling where there is aliasing around lines. Are you drawing with a tablet? I would recommend considering doing vector art, its more forgiving than painting. I personally use Inkscape and trace reference images.
Inkscape, if it's more useful I'll use it now. Would you please post videos / pictures for the guide? I'm really grateful right now.

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Inkscape, if it's more useful I'll use it now. Would you please post videos / pictures for the guide? I'm really grateful right now.
If you haven't worked with vector art, Inkscape will be different from what you are used to. Raster graphics are pixels on a grid while vector art is composed of lines that can be modified easily after creation for fine tuning of your art. Not sure what you are talking about by videos / pictures for the guide though?

beenguin

Jul 28, 2018
If you haven't worked with vector art, Inkscape will be different from what you are used to. Raster graphics are pixels on a grid while vector art is composed of lines that can be modified easily after creation for fine tuning of your art. Not sure what you are talking about by videos / pictures for the guide though?
I mean Inkscape tutorials.

Last edited:

beenguin

Jul 28, 2018
Oh, I don't know any good tutorials for Inkscape sorry. I'm sure you can find a bunch if you google though.
Hello, I hope I didn't overwhelm you. I have checked your arts and I wonder, how you learn this? What do you suggest for first step? Inkscape really what I need to drawing program for my first game. I hope you reply me.

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Hello, I hope I didn't overwhelm you. I have checked your arts and I wonder, how you learn this? What do you suggest for first step? Inkscape really what I need to drawing program for my first game. I hope you reply me.
Trace over images and keep practicing. It took me a few months of practice to be able to produce my current quality of art, if I tried to free hand, it would be garbage. Try to break down what you are looking at into simpler shapes in your mind. When shading, squint at your reference material to make that process easier and figure out the major shapes and colors.

This is what I was doing back in September of last year versus my current quality. Just keep trying to recreate images.

TestDrawing6.png EmiliaShowerPreview.png

though it doesn't go very indepth. The process is pretty simple, import your reference image and use the bezier tool to start outlining the major parts of the image. Sometimes you need to consider how the different parts overlap and not just trace out the entire thing as one shape. Like in the showering image above, the right and left arms are separate shapes from the main silhouette of the body to allow the hands to lay on top of the body.

Good luck, if you have any more questions or run into problems with Inkscape I'll try and answer them.