Ren'Py an idea for a beginner guide

badi90

Jun 18, 2017
Before I start. I want to apologized for my bad English . its not my native language and I learned it from tv .. so, before continue reading this post throw away all grammar u know ….

That being said. am not a programmer or artist . but I always enjoy playing with daz3d because I always want to try to build my own game for fun .. I have a little time and yet every time I get time to spare, I use daz to learn new thing

Now I want to do the same with renpy .. am trying to create a free roaming game with map navigation, 24 hour time cycle. Events / Quests system. And Tracking system for now.

I tried to look on YouTube how to make the game and mostly I found a liner story game guide with couple of choices . or more advance type of guide and couldn’t follow them since am not a programmer .

So I thought I would break my learning game journey . for now I would like to create a map. where I could travel from 1 area to another . and I thought there should be a guide to show how to do so and for future reference for anyone who is not a programmer and would like to build a game or don’t know where to start , I know it’s not as simple as typing one code or there is one way to do so . but if anyone could help with simple example of one way of doing so

Thank you for reading and any advise reference or comment would be appreciated

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
for now I would like to create a map. where I could travel from 1 area to another .
What do you mean ? A map like RPG maker, where the character move cell by cell, or a map like in usual Ren'Py games, where you click on an area to move to it ?

The first one is a bit complex, and writing a guide for it would need to cover many topics, including at least an implementation. This while for the second one or two dozen lines would be enough:

• Create a screen representing the map ;
  • Either use an (outdated) or s to represent the areas ;
  • the screen each time the player should be facing the map.

What in code mean:
Python:
screen myMap():

add "images/map background.jpg"

imagebutton:
        idle "area1.jpg"
        xpos 100 ypos 100
        action Jump( "area1" )

imagebutton:
        idle "area2.jpg"
        xpos 500 ypos 800
        action Jump( "area2" )