Daz Tutorial Anamorphic Process (Bokeh) in Daz 3D Iray

Shoe_Lac3

Jun 6, 2018
Below is a copy/archive of the I posted.

This is a detail write up on the experiments I've done and the methods with which you too can easily achieve the coveted (by select cinematography nerds like myself) "Anamorphic Bokeh" in Daz Iray.

TLDR instructions at end of the post.

1668050895713.png
MOONLIGHT (2016)
Cinematography by James Laxton

Background
Ever since I started my Daz3D journey (roughly a year ago), I've been trying to find a way to achieve the "anamorphic look" with Daz Iray.

1668051302812.png
Blender Anamorphic Test

Since there are no render settings like the Aperture Ratio in Blender (other names/settings in other render engines), that can easily turn the bokeh into an oval shape, I first tried the post processing method - using a depth pass with a post process capable of producing anamorphic bokeh. In my case, I used a bokeh plugin in After effects, feeding the depth pass and adjusted the Aperture Ratio.

1668051347636.png

As can be seen here, while it can be somewhat workable, the effect is nowhere near the desired look. There are obvious ghosting around the subject edges, bokeh exposure needs constant babysitting and so on.

As far as I could tell, after a rather extensive set of testing of settings as well as different post-processing methods (photoshop, blender compositor, etc), the ghosting effect while minimizable to an extent, is not avoidable with the slew of options I had. (There are probably methods that doesn't have the ghosting problem, but I wasn't able to find one.)

* I've also tried Octane in Daz. But the plugin implementation was so half-assed and anti-user, I could not be bothered to give it a honest try. Where or not it has a bokeh setting I cannot remember. But hey, who needs Octane if it can be done in Iray, right?

Method

1668051445269.png

A while ago, by sheer accident/luck, I discovered the method by which the PHOTOGRAPHER 4 addon for Blender by chafouin uses for its bokeh effects - a physical obstruction in front of the camera to emulate the "failings" of a lens barrel in real life.

1668051467057.png
PHOTOGRAPHER 4 addon for Blender by chafouin

So, I employed the method in Daz Iray, and wouldn't you know it - IT WORKS.

1668051532325.png
1668051540420.png

Basically, set up a completely black mesh that absorbs all light, cut an oval in the middle, put it in front of the camera as close as possible so that there's a black border in your camera view.

1668051556949.png

Then, you can either adjust the scale or translation of the mesh in relation to the camera, which will produce different looks and different strength of the Cat's Eye effect.

1668051574133.png 1668051580225.png 1668051586785.png 1668051593363.png

The more the camera is covered, the stronger the Cat's Eye effect. It also means less light is hitting the camera, but that can be easily compensated to taste in Render Settings > Tone Mapping > Exposure Value.

The bokeh will follow the shape of the cutout - more vertical cutout = more vertical bokeh. It also means:

1668051673067.png
1668051685345.png

I don't think I'll ever use this effect but it works - and actual bokeh effect instead of faking through meshed objects in the background I've seen tutorials and products for, which I find to be even less useful.

Barrel Distortion

1668051707998.png
Hobbs and Shaw (2019)
Cinematography by Jonathan Sela

Another important part of the "Anamorphic Look" is the Barrel Distortion, where the image gets distorted along the edges.

This too can be achieved in engine, by using the variety of Lens Distortion in Lens settings on the Camera.

1668051746153.png

The various Distortion Types and Various Lens settings are poorly documented. You'd have to experiment with it yourself. But generally, I find adjusting in smaller increments of ± 0.1 to be more useful.

There are also different types of barrel distortion for Anamorphic which I won't go into here, but I believe they all can be achieved by using the inverted distortion or simply change to Positive/Negative Value.

Below is a mega folder link to the mesh + texture I use.

Usage:

• Import the OBJ (default settings should be fine).
  • Plug in the desired texture into the Cutout Opacity of the OBJ.
  • Make sure that the Glossy Layered Weight and Glossy Reflectivity is turned zero (so the mesh absorbs all light)
  • Add a camera and zero it.
  • Parent OBJ to the Camera.
  • Adjust Translation + Scale for the vignette to taste.
  • Camera F-stop (try 4, 8, 12) and focal length greatly influences the effect. If something doesn't seem to work or to your liking, try adjusting these first.

That's all. Have fun (•̀ω•́)✧

Last edited:

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
I use depth pass sometime for my dof in photoshop and I found out that if you render it 2x the size and shrink it after the result are most of the time much better, just a thought !

Thank you for that tutorial !

Shoe_Lac3

Jun 6, 2018
I use depth pass sometime for my dof in photoshop and I found out that if you render it 2x the size and shrink it after the result are most of the time much better, just a thought !

Thank you for that tutorial !
Interesting. Might try it some time.

But I don't imagine it being much use to me since depth pass DOF will always be inferior to in-engine DOF, as the process itself will be unable to interpolate what's behind the subject/what's not present in the source render, thus resulting the inevitable "ghosting" effect, however it is minimized through whatever means :unsure:

Reactions: KlodowWW

StannyStanny

Game Developer
Apr 25, 2017
Shoe_Lac3
I can't even tell you how grateful I am for this. As a fellow anamorphic obsessive, this was the biggest treat. sc111.png
Thanks so much for the tutorial and files. Keep up the amazing work.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Shoe_Lac3