And so it begins...

Falc79

Feb 27, 2018
Ok so - I decided to start learning how to work with 3D models because I have A LOT of idle time in my new job. So I'm VERY new at this - working on an old laptop with a 940M.

I just thought: hey maybe it would be fun to share the first "test scene" I have ever made - because it might be amusing to some, and to myself it will probably be a good "how far have I come" reference point. So don't expect much - just a nude model walking up in a generic stock photo.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Good luck.
I remember the struggles of a laptop (610m in my case), and I don't envy you :p.
In my case, with a 610m, all the scenes but completely naked and simple characters would result in a blank render.

I'd like to offer a suggestion, and that's to do some post processing with your favourite image editor (Photoshop, gimp, or whatever), that character on the 2nd screenshot would look much better if you painted some of that light reflecting where it should.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Asia Argento

Falc79

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for the feedback :-D

Winterfire yeah I used to do a bit of graphics work - however that's a long time ago in PSP and something called "autosketch" or something like that if I remember correctly. Yesterday I opened up a more modern Photoshop.... and I felt like a 5 year old in a shoppingmall who has just lost his mommy! I'm literally just starting over from scratch here - so yeah I need to start a the "beginner 1" videos in the Daz3D and Photoshop guides - and the TONS of photo/3D/Unity/Unreal/whatever editing programs I have accumulated from buying humblebundles for the last decade thinking "yeah I want to get into this again!". LOL

Oh yeah - and then I need to learn Python too I think - or something else cause pictures are cool and all - but I have a vision for a game and that... God... yeah... this is gonna take a while :-D

Falc79

Feb 27, 2018
And yes - I realize it don't look completely right - but damn it it took 2 hours to render on this old laptop - so making corrections takes a long time! :-D

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
And yes - I realize it don't look completely right - but damn it it took 2 hours to render on this old laptop - so making corrections takes a long time! :-D
Just a suggestion, drop the animations for now.

Imagine doing this for HUNDREDS of CGs. You are going to burnout way before you get anywhere.
A good workaround would be to add animations only for those REALLY special scenes, but otherwise I would just stick with practicing and getting better without rendering anything.
In my opinion, you should instead focus on all the rest, such as getting good looking static CGs, and the rest of the game which of itself is not an easy or quick task at all.

-edit-
Practice and having fun with animations is important though, so keep going at it.
Once (hopefully) you'll upgrade, you can render those by using all the knowledge that (hopefully) you'll be gaining from practicing now.

Reactions: Meaning Less