Android version?

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
Just a simple question for devs out there who publish in Patreon and offer an Android version of their games:

Is it worthy?

Thanks

Reactions: White ranger

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
The Android edition of Sisterly Lust has been the rockiest release of all of them (it's developed in Ren'Py). I don't own an Android device and even then there are too many device configurations in the wild to really thoroughly test your build.

That said, if you're going to release an Android version, be sure to at least test it in an emulator and find a couple of people with different Android devices. There are some peculiar bugs I encountered (green screens, no keyboard for inputs), but they can be worked around.

I think, in the end, you'll broaden your audience, because there quite a lot of websites devoted to lewd Android games, so quite a few people like to play on a tablet or phone, it seems.

Reactions: Lucius Drake

Deleted member 323963

Not a Muggle
Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
I don't think it's worth the hassle to release an Android version of which you can 100% guarantee it works perfectly on, say, 85% of the Android devices out there. It is, however, quite easy to make an Android build with RenPy (I think, I never actually did that myself).

Things get more complex when you use a pure game engine like Unity. It's funny to do so, but how many people will install apps outside of the Play Store versus how many people will just fap behind their laptop/pc?

7Spear

Nov 8, 2018
I am not developer but i know it's worth it.why must ignore the biggest audience?when it's come to business you can aspect get a lot support from them.many developer doesn't know this.they keep ignoring android user.because they don't know anything about marketing.you can see there is fact from this for example dark cookie.they don't ignore android user.because they know their audience and they know where the money come from and they know marketing.
Couple of the game here have android version but they didn't compress it.so don't hope to get support from them(android user).they need compress version more than pc or mac user.
Sometime android user need compress version.if not they will not bother to download,support or even play the game.

Reactions: Kick In The Nuts

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use Unity so Android version should be easy to get but I don't have an Android device so I might have to get one... But I have another question then: how do you promote your game for Android users? I guess this type of content is not allowed in the google store, right? So how they will install it?

Also, I see the problem of having to support another build that must be properly tested. In a case like this, I'd love to see some graphs showing the game impact: pc & mac VS mobile version. :D

Deleted member 323963

Not a Muggle
Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use Unity so Android version should be easy to get but I don't have an Android device so I might have to get one... But I have another question then: how do you promote your game for Android users? I guess this type of content is not allowed in the google store, right? So how they will install it?

Also, I see the problem of having to support another build that must be properly tested. In a case like this, I'd love to see some graphs showing the game impact: pc & mac VS mobile version. :D
Unity and Android works nicely, but you have to have the right Java SDK's, which could be confusing. The chance of getting it in the Play Store is not high, I think, so only users with a 'Download and install apps outside the Play Store' setting will be able to install them. I think that people who visit this forum and play these kinds of games are able to figure out how to do so.

You should also check how your Canvas and UI (hint: scaling) are rendered on mobile. And I would suggest to check out /r/lewdgaming and /r/androidnsfwgaming

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
I see... I think this is going to be a pain in the ass for me right now. I'll put the Android version on hold as I have the feeling is going to distract me from having a good/stable version for PC and Mac.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Android is the fastest growing user base in adult gaming. that being said getting out an android build is a bit more challenging then doing a PC build. No your not going to get your adult game into the Play store. but with android, you can sideload apps in. Ios you can not unless you jailbreak your iPad or iPhone but that voids your warranty. Ren'py tends to do well in making Android builds

7Spear

Nov 8, 2018
I see... I think this is going to be a pain in the ass for me right now. I'll put the Android version on hold as I have the feeling is going to distract me from having a good/stable version for PC and Mac.
Ah because you choose unity engine.i only can said that unity isn't friendly with android.so far only renpy engine friendly with android.
My field is marketing analysis but I'm not good explain it in english.im sure if you google it you can find how to promote your game.it's better them explained to you instead of me,because my english suck.

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
In the end, I have to be realistic: I have limited time by now so I must be smart to where I put all my efforts. I'm definitely interested in Android, but by now I don't have the time I'd probably need to make it right. Unity should be fine, but set up the canvas correctly to work fine in all resolutions is a bit tricky for my knowledge level yet. But' this is useful information as from now on when I tackle something for the game, I'll keep in mind the Android version as well.

JakaiD

Dec 26, 2018
Unity makes it stupidly easy to build for Android. The latest releases, 2018.3 and 2019.1 via Unity Hub, will even install all the 3rd party libs and tools you need to make builds (if you select Android as a target to install).

What is important is to keep in mind that you are developing for a mobile device with limited memory so you need to design the game's runtime such that it only loads the needed resources for the given scene or few scenes to follow. I see for example the trend in adult VNs is to render out each "scene" with the characters baked into the background, and that make sense for what the author is trying to go for; but, it adds up quickly (seeing 1Gb+ builds of some games) and many times all those resources are force loaded all at once when the game starts up. This is still fine on PC but can become a problem on mobile devices.

Reactions: Urok

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, I know about that and it's an important point, so thanks for bringing it up. I try to run the game through different scenes exactly to avoid memory issues, even if for PC is no big deal. What scares me the most is to deal with the canvas different resolutions and that sort of things. I still have to improve my knowledge regarding anchors, canvas groups and that sort of things.