Android...

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Almost everyday a new game is released here, and most of the time it is Windows only.
About half the time there's an IOS release.
Then the thread is filled with post after post that basically just comes down to players saying "android when?".
Sure it can be annoying to see it in every thread. Heck, I've done it myself and I still find it annoying.
But who is really at fault here for that?
So here's a thought for the devs out there who are just making your games PC/IOS.

Do you like money?

A lot of you want folks to join your patreon or your subscribestar or donate to your buymeacoffee.
If you want more backers, why are so few of you making games for the most used OS in the world?
Don't get me wrong, I love the work the modders and porters are doing here bringing these games to android. But there's just too many games for them to port everything by themselves. And honestly, they might enjoy doing it, but it shouldn't be their responsibility.

Getting your games into more players hands is on you.
Heck if it's so difficult to do on your own, maybe consider hiring one of the porters to do it for you so that it can be ready for release at the same time as your PC update.

Either way if you want a shot at tapping into the largest market in the world, you're gonna have to make your game accessible for it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Global stat counter showing 44% of all internet ready devices used worldwide are android.
Windows is in 2nd place with just under 28%.
IOS? 17.85%

Here's another source:
Wikipedia's listing for Usage Sharing of Operating Systems.
Guess who's in first there as well?
Android with 43% ahead of Windows with 30% and IOS still lagging behind in 3rd with 17% again.

So yeah.... Maybe you should think on that a bit before you release your next title or the new update to whatever you're working on.

Okay, I'm done preaching now. Have a good one, and please try to consider us android players in the future, hmkay?

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Don't look at me, HTML games works fine on Android, as long as you don't have a pre-historic browser or have joiplay installed.

iOS is another story, damn safari and their lack of support for webm and webp from iOS12 and lower :mad::mad:

Reactions: GreenGobbo

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
They work yeah, but getting them to work sometimes. Ehhh....
HTML games work just fine if you're playing online. Otherwise if you're downloading the game files you need to know exactly what file directory to move all those files into so that when you launch the game in your browser you can still see the images and videos. None of the html games I've seen on this site tell android users what the folder location needs to be, so I either stick to the ones tha th offer an apk file or have a play online link.

Also not specifically calling any one dev out. Just an in general "hey, stop forgetting about us" thing.

Apr 18, 2021
Is there an Android platform which allows games with adult content? At least there's Steam for Windows but AFAIK Google Playstore won't allow adult apps on their market. Of course there is always direct download here or from Patreon etc.

I'll definitely be looking to port my game to Android if it isn't too hardware demanding...

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Is there an Android platform which allows games with adult content? At least there's Steam for Windows but AFAIK Google Playstore won't allow adult apps on their market. Of course there is always direct download here or from Patreon etc.

I'll definitely be looking to port my game to Android if it isn't too hardware demanding...
Good question, I don't know the answer to that honestly.
I just figured I'd try enticing some of you by pointing there's a chanxe you might be able to attract more patreons if you dip your toes into the android market. :D

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
They work yeah, but getting them to work sometimes. Ehhh....
HTML games work just fine if you're playing online. Otherwise if you're downloading the game files you need to know exactly what file directory to move all those files into so that when you launch the game in your browser you can still see the images and videos. None of the html games I've seen on this site tell android users what the folder location needs to be, so I either stick to the ones tha th offer an apk file or have a play online link.

Also not specifically calling any one dev out. Just an in general "hey, stop forgetting about us" thing.
Well, whenever I get asked, I tell them to note whenever folder they extract my game to, to use joiplay app later. Try it out, Joiplay works wonders to play offline HTML games on android (I tested it on an android emulator running android 5. You can't be more vintage than that)

But yeah, it's a nightmare to run a browser with offline HTML games on android

Reactions: GreenGobbo

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I do have questions for mobile players:

Do you guys don't have a computer?
And if you do, what is the reason to choose the mobile version instead?

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
I do have questions for mobile players:

Do you guys don't have a computer?
And if you do, what is the reason to choose the mobile version instead?
Can't speak for everyone obviously, but I do not. Used to have one, but it died and i've never bothered replacing it. Too much $$$ these days for something I'd consider worth it. Could make a downpayment on a new car for less.

My guess? portability. It's damn comfortable to lay up on your bed, take a tablet and play those games there late at night. And fapping would be easier too.

I knew I saw someone staring though my window. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: Rafster

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
My guess? portability. It's damn comfortable to lay up on your bed, take a tablet and play those games there late at night. And fapping would be easier too.
I guess it makes sense, not everyone has a wireless mouse and a big screen near their bed I guess.
Can't speak for everyone obviously, but I do not.
Yeah your case I imagine is the most common reason as to why someone would choose mobile ported version of desktop games instead.

Usually the mobile version of games seem to get less than 20% of the number of downloads, that's a considerate ammount for sure but it still signals that most people seem to play them on desktop instead.

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Was not aware the downloads were thay low here. Have a source/link for that?

Still though, if you were selling something would you want to ignore 20% of your potential customers?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
No, that's just a guess based on what I usually see on filehosts that show their numbers like gofile, there is little to no accuracy in it.

But if you look at the number of games tagged with "mobile game" (which implies mobile version), they are ~10% of the total games which also matches the importance level devs give to it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Still though, if you were selling something would you want to ignore 20% of your potential customers?
And for sure like I mentioned it is a considerable ammount of people, but depending on the engine/game the effort required for a mobile port might not be worth it, especially if the game is still under development.

Usually ports to other systems are done at the final lap of your project, after everything is ready to go, because it can become a pain to keep updating multiple versions of your game in parallel depending on the engine you are using.

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
But if you look at the number of games tagged with "mobile game" (which implies mobile version), they are ~10% of the total games which also matches the importance level devs give to it.
Yeah, I know. That is the point of the thread dude. Trying to convince more devs to be willing to accept the HONOR of having that illustrious and RARE tag added to their games.

Come on man, I'm just trying to get more/equal access to games you pc folks aleeady have. Quit bringing up arguments that get in the way. Cockblocking aint cool man. STOP NTR-ING ME WITH GAMES MADE ONLY FOR WINDOWS!
(Just to be clear that last part was just a joke)

• Haha
Reactions: Meaning Less

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
Is there an Android platform which allows games with adult content?
There’s always itch. I quite like it.

That’s the tricky part. I had to adjust font size, menus, some in-game HUDs, even change a couple thinks to help with performance. It’s a bit of work, but doable.

No idea about stats here, but I can tell you that roughly 30% of my paid downloads on itch are the android version. However, when someone buys the game there, they can download all versions. Some people download more than one, so those 30% of downloads do not translate to 30% of mobile-only costumers: I suspect that many primary wanted the PC version, but also downloaded the android version.

Also, interestingly, the free version has almost a 50-50 amount of downloads between PC and Android. But many more PC users end up buying the newest update than the android ones. I think mobile users are just too used to freemium games (in app purchases, adds, etc) and don’t like to pay for mobile games that much. It also could be argued that they shouldn’t pay the same as the PC version. I have it setup in a way that you pay once and get all versions and all future updates, but someone that just wants the android version might feel it’s too expensive.

PS: this is just one data point from one small game. It might be totally different for other developers/games.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Usually the mobile version of games seem to get less than 20% of the number of downloads, that's a considerate ammount for sure but it still signals that most people seem to play them on desktop instead.
What seem relatively logical. While I understand why destroll don't own one, most people who own a a mobile device also own a desktop, or portable, computer at home, and home is where you play those kind of games.

But, to complement his answer, I guess that among those who play on a mobile devices, there's students, as well as youths that are of legal age (everyone is of legal age here, right ?) but still live with their parents and have to share the computer.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
But who is really at fault here for that?
F95 for not creating "win/mac/ios/android/etc" prefixes? :whistle::coffee:

It's damn comfortable to lay up on your bed, take a tablet and play those games there late at night. And fapping would be easier too.
I dunno, it's just as comfortable to have a couch right in front of my pc.
I'm probably not the only genius who thought of it.... right? :whistle::coffee:

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
F95 for not creating "win/mac/ios/android/etc" prefixes? :whistle::coffee:

I dunno, it's just as comfortable to have a couch right in front of my pc.
I'm probably not the only genius who thought of it.... right? :whistle::coffee:
A couch in front of the PC? pass. Besides, without a table even a wireless mouse would be a hassle.

Funny enough, I had to connect the big ass TV of my bedroom to my PC for 3 weeks, until I got a used monitor last week. For seeing youtube, vids and playing games with a console joystick? it was awesome. For programming, chatting or even playing games that require mouse, like most of our smut games? it was a pain. I prefer to stay with old ass monitor. If I had an android tablet it would be easier to play some games late at night without having to turn on my PC.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
I have a desktop and a laptop, and yet i still prefer to play some games on my Android tablet (when they're suitable for it). Sometimes i just want to lie down and relax while playing a game but i don't want the awkwardness of a laptop. A tablet is far more comfortable and portable than anything else. Privacy doesn't even factor in for my case, it's all about convenience and an Android tablet is the most convenient.

The issue i have is that there are plenty of games that release an Android version but they often crash or just plain don't work on my device. Sometimes it's because my tablet is old and sometimes it's because Android ports don't get the same amount of testing as desktop releases. From my experience, it's more reliable to use a compatibility app like JoiPlay.

Reactions: Rafster