Animal ears and tails.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I have been trying to make a neko girl (girl with cat ears) but I'm having trouble finding nice assets for the ears and tails, Nyao has a outfit with neko ears:

But is not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find something more realistic or semi-realistic to create the illusion that the ears are part of the character and not some accessory.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Maybe someone knows where to find Daz models like the examples.

I'm trying to do something like this:

Only the ears and tails not trying to cover my girl with animal furr.

Last edited:

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I have been trying to make a neko girl (girl with cat ears) but I'm having trouble finding nice assets for the ears and tails, Nyao has a outfit with neko ears:

But is not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find something more realistic or semi-realistic to create the illusion that the ears are part of the character and not some accessory.

Maybe someone knows where to find Daz models like the examples.

I'm trying to do something like this:
View attachment 326296

Only the ears and tails not trying to cover my girl with animal furr.
https://f95zone.to/threads/tailminator-for-genesis-3-and-genesis-8-female.26209/
https://f95zone.to/threads/furry-butt-plugs-and-furry-butt-plugs-2.29984/
https://f95zone.to/threads/dforce-kitty-sweater-for-genesis-8-female-s.25899/
https://f95zone.to/threads/anime-kitten-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s.25417/

Reactions: Namco15 and 9thCrux

Deleted member 1019532

Nov 18, 2018
Based on the design of the human skull, cat-like ears would sit lower, basically where the current ears are. Gotta take into account all the inner ear workings.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Based on the design of the human skull, cat-like ears would sit lower, basically where the current ears are. Gotta take into account all the inner ear workings.
Whut?
No, depends on the specific design and character's lore; most part animal races have two sets of ears, in some cases is explained that they have human ears to hear people and they also have animal ears to listen to animals and spirits.

Last edited:

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Ao from Yozakura Quartet is a good example for multiple sets of what looks like ears. Her human ears are for hearing, and the like cat ears are actually antenna for her telepathy and not for hearing.

Last edited:

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
Throwing this here, since it's remarkably relevant that I'm currently modeling a Daz-based cat ear character in Maya right now. Not that these models can transfer... I don't think... I've not actually considered it much. Other process photos are in the daz->maya thread in the dev base forum.

Reactions: 9thCrux

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I have been modeling a genesis 8 female and is still a WIP but here is how she looks so far:

Is painful to adjust some morphs with a genesis 8 female base, specially adjusting scales and positions.
Going for a semi-realistic look.

Last edited:
Reactions: nillamello

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
That's one of the major reasons I'm trying to migrate my workflow into Maya. It's... much more difficult to do basic things, but that same difficulty applies to non-basic things too. For example, grabbing the base geometry for the thistle ears, taking them into Maya, increasing poly count times three, modeling them to be thinner and pointy, then lowering the poly count again for rendering, then placing them onto the head where I want them and locking it to the bones is as easy as adding a dimple. Because it's the exact same process to add a dimple. Add some procedural fur (there are presets for that, which helps the learning curve), then some longer hairs for accents, and it's ready to go.

Daz has some great assets for fantasy stuff, like ears, horns, devil tails, wings, and so on, but the lack of malleability means you're stuck with whatever the original artist has made available to you. It's something you can't really complain about because what we have is awesome, but then... you're still sort of stuck.

Yustu

May 22, 2018
I'm new to Daz, but not new to 3D packages, and what struck me most is lack of proper interchangeable file format (this actually apply to other packages as well, to me it seams like Autodesk intentionally limits it's FBX to support only their product line-up with also has limitations).
Daz is good for quick posing, iRay is good renderer (slower then others but produces quality results) but other aspects of Daz are just deal breaker at times, namely lack of proper timeline for animation and most importantly performance, especially in viewport for animation and way they handle additional content (apparently there are contents that will make i.e. animation preview slower even thought that content is not directly used by model).

That's why in free time (with I don't have) I'm working on bridge that will allow data exchange between Daz and third party software, like 3DSMax / MotionBuilder etc. Concept / idea is simple, on Daz end there will be server what will serve requested data so i.e. on 3DSMax all data will be server but for i.e. MotionBuilder only bones and base mesh (with option for base textures). It's far from fruition and is someone knows already existing bridges that do this I'm all ears.

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
There aren't any fully functioning bridges between the DSON format and others, but there are people who are working on something similar (most notably something called the DSON Exchange (DEX for short), specifically intended to integrate with Maya). I'm not a programmer beyond semi-basic Python, so I don't have the details, but I know that it was initially being developed by one person, and that the people at Daz took note of it and pulled him in to make it a semi-official add-on. The last notice they gave anyone was a call for beta testers in March, and no news since.

As far as animation in Daz, it's just... yeah. It's slow, monotonous, and lacks basic features that have been around for a decade in other free software (floor recognition anyone?).