• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Animation FOR daz3d

ApaGod

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2017
Hi,

So i have started creating a game with Daz3D renders, and programmed with ren'py.

I just wanted to ask people who have rendered animations with daz, if they actually animated it in Daz, or imported the final animations done somewhere else?
I wanna make animations for my game, but i have already experienced that daz can be very finicky regarding that, while practicing with animation.

TLDR; daz bad at animation: you guys use something else?

arnii

Massive Member
Game Developer
Feb 23, 2020
Animation in Daz is difficult. A lot of people use Blender or other professional grade animation software - but its not easy.

You can get decent results in daz, I'd think about using some premade animations, does the best out there in my opinion. Just get two average sized G8 models up and apply the animations.

Reactions: MissFortune

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hi,

So i have started creating a game with Daz3D renders, and programmed with ren'py.

I just wanted to ask people who have rendered animations with daz, if they actually animated it in Daz, or imported the final animations done somewhere else?
I wanna make animations for my game, but i have already experienced that daz can be very finicky regarding that, while practicing with animation.

TLDR; daz bad at animation: you guys use something else?
Outside quick short loop Daz is really terrible at animating. For game specific anims (idle/run/jump etc), you can still import Mixamo library in Daz ( )

For more robust/frames intensive ones; Blender/Cascadeur/Motion Builder/Maya... There is no easy solution imo. You will more likely have to retarget the rig ( ), or completely use a different one.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Animation in Daz is difficult. A lot of people use Blender or other professional grade animation software - but its not easy.
Daz is the easiest in a pile of difficult programs, though. Which is why the software in and of itself is appealing to people new to 3D. Nobody's picking up Blender and animation with it a week or two later. While Daz does have its quirks and annoyances, it does offer that - depending on how much effort you put in, obviously.

You can get decent results in daz, I'd think about using some premade animations, does the best out there in my opinion. Just get two average sized G8 models up and apply the animations.
Stimuli is an option, but if someone's going to insist on using premade animations, I'd point them to . Stimuli stuff isn't bad by any stretch (still better than my own animations, tbh.), but they're so overused at this point. AnimArts is relatively new, and even if the creator's a bit of a steaming turd, they make some decent stuff. But I'd still recommend people learn to animate manually, regardless of whether it's with Daz, Blender, or Maya.

arnii

Massive Member
Game Developer
Feb 23, 2020
Daz is the easiest in a pile of difficult programs, though. Which is why the software in and of itself is appealing to people new to 3D. Nobody's picking up Blender and animation with it a week or two later. While Daz does have its quirks and annoyances, it does offer that - depending on how much effort you put in, obviously.

Stimuli is an option, but if someone's going to insist on using premade animations, I'd point them to . Stimuli stuff isn't bad by any stretch (still better than my own animations, tbh.), but they're so overused at this point. AnimArts is relatively new, and even if the creator's a bit of a steaming turd, they make some decent stuff. But I'd still recommend people learn to animate manually, regardless of whether it's with Daz, Blender, or Maya.
Agree with all of this, AnimArts do some great stuff- if you get the products from their site you get it cheaper (or even better contact them to get a bulk discount if you have a few $100 lying around). In my opinion Stimuli stuff is a little easier to use for a beginner and if you are a bit more advanced you can use the timeline (or Graphmate) to make small alterations to multiple keys at a time to make the animations different you can get some good re-use. This approach has worked well for me, although I also animate from still poses which is a bit more time consuming.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
If you want to make two characters fuck DAZ is best for the job. Getting things in and out of DAZ and using blender or whatever is a whole new set of headaches.

If you want to do more than make two characters fuck DAZ is the worst tool for that, Blender, 3ds max, Maya all the better tool but massive learning curves. To learn how animate in DAZ is relatively easy, just takes practice.

At the end of the day it depends what your goals are.

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
Side bar but why is AnimArts a "steaming turd"?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Side bar but why is AnimArts a "steaming turd"?
Not the work itself, but the creator/person who runs their stuff, had an absolute meltdown in the developer sub-forum then went on a review bombing session. Not going to show a ton as that's an intentionally private sub-forum and don't know if there's any rules toward showing stuff from that forum. There's a bit more to it than what's being show below, but not my place to talk about it.

1.png 3.png
2.png

arnii

Massive Member
Game Developer
Feb 23, 2020
Not the work itself, but the creator/person who runs their stuff, had an absolute meltdown in the developer sub-forum then went on a review bombing session. Not going to show a ton as that's an intentionally private sub-forum and don't know if there's any rules toward showing stuff from that forum. There's a bit more to it than what's being show below, but not my place to talk about it.
Must have missed all this... tragic. From a purely commercial/quality point of view, his stuff is good and I had good comms with him when getting a bulk discount.

ApaGod

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2017
Stimuli is an option, but if someone's going to insist on using premade animations, I'd point them to . Stimuli stuff isn't bad by any stretch (still better than my own animations, tbh.), but they're so overused at this point.
I didn't actually know you could find that many animations on renderhub, i guess i should have looked at that first.
I have dabbed in animating daz before, and i got a pretty decent result, so i'll just stick to that :)

Thanks for the answers everyone.

If you want to make two characters fuck DAZ is best for the job. Getting things in and out of DAZ and using blender or whatever is a whole new set of headaches.
Yea it will mostly be 2 people, or a girl and toys. So i'm just sticking to daz for now.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018

wrong big time it's always blender and blender this and this but if you have to practice you can get great animation with daz3d

everybody have their way of doing things

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
wrong big time it's always blender and blender this and this but if you have to practice you can get great animation with daz3d

everybody have their way of doing things
He's not wrong but neither are you. Blender is often mentioned just because it's free but any major DCC has significant better animation tools than Daz.

Those tools don't inherently make your animation better but it does make it significantly easier and faster to make them. My animations are still garbage and aren't much better in Blender than they were in Daz, but what took me a day in Daz takes me an hour in blender.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
He's not wrong but neither are you. Blender is often mentioned just because it's free but any major DCC has significant better animation tools than Daz.
No he is 100% right, blender is the best, the other poster, me, you, and the rest of the internet is wrong. Blender is the best at everything. Don't believe me, ask any blender user.