Daz Animation issue with keyframes

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm trying to animate a character in Daz. I'll explain the issue in the simplest way I can.

So at frame 0, the character is in x position

I move to frame 30 and use the active pose tool (bone icon) to drag a body part and even click 'create keys' but when I pan from 0-30 again, it doesn't animate.

I also tried dragging limbs with the translate tool. same issue

Has anyone faced this before?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Is it every character or just one specific? There is a way to break one but its not a very common occurrence.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm trying to animate a character in Daz. I'll explain the issue in the simplest way I can.

So at frame 0, the character is in x position

I move to frame 30 and use the active pose tool (bone icon) to drag a body part and even click 'create keys' but when I pan from 0-30 again, it doesn't animate.

I also tried dragging limbs with the translate tool. same issue

Has anyone faced this before?
Daz Studio has some very quirky issues with starting animations. Basically, your problem is that you don't have an explicit keyframe at frame zero, so when you do the bit at frame 30, it kind of assumes that it was there at frame 0. (Stupid, yes.)

Easiest way to handle this is to go to frame 0, do File >> Save As >> Pose Preset and save the figure's current pose somewhere. Then double click on that pose file to re-apply it. Applying a pose file like this seems to set a keyframe on pretty much every posting parameter. Now you have a frame 0 keyframe, and making a change on frame 30 will give you something to animate to.

That pose file also comes in handy if you're trying to create a looping animation, since you can also apply it at the last keyframe in your timeline, guaranteeing that first-frame and last-frame's poses are identical.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Is it every character or just one specific? There is a way to break one but its not a very common occurrence.
I haven't tried on others tbh. I found using active pose tool was easier for me but keyframes were only getting recorded if i moved the characters with sliders. I'll try again. thanks!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I haven't tried on others tbh. I found using active pose tool was easier for me but keyframes were only getting recorded if i moved the characters with sliders. I'll try again. thanks!
Anything that moves a character should generate a keyframe. Of course, "should" and Daz Studio's implementation don't always line up... Getting keyframes on some properties (like some of the hand poses) can be a pain in the butt. Sometimes you have to pose, then open up the timeline down until you can find the particular item (which can be nested deeply) and manually set a keyframe. Daz's timeline implementation leaves a lot to be desired, but it's WAY better than what existed a few releases ago...