Ren'Py Animation - to transition or not transition

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
I am hoping someone can provide me with a simple answer, so I may avoid playing trial and error back and forth.

I am putting together an animation of a spaceship landing.

I have a fixed camera position and a spaceship changing its transform over 30 frames at 30 fps.

Does anyone know weather a dissolve between frames will enhance or detract from the animation, also what sort of dissolve time would work best if at all?

Cheers,

Dogz

Captureship.JPG

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Does anyone know weather a dissolve between frames will enhance or detract from the animation, also what sort of dissolve time would work best if at all?
Well, technically dissolve should soften the transition and so make the animation more smooth. But practically it totally depend of the frames themselves.

Professional animators know what effect would fit the best not because there's a magical knowledge to acquire, but because they past years following the trial and error approach. And honestly it's not something difficult or long to do with Ren'Py.

Reactions: DogzBallz

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Well, technically dissolve should soften the transition and so make the animation more smooth. But practically it totally depend of the frames themselves.

Professional animators know what effect would fit the best not because there's a magical knowledge to acquire, but because they past years following the trial and error approach. And honestly it's not something difficult or long to do with Ren'Py.
I think you nailed it, I ended up spending a bit of time adjusting the time ratio's and it seems that it would be different for just about every animation. It definitely seems like experience and time are going to be the big teachers with this one.

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.