Any advice/suggestion for newly eroge game developer?

888hydra

Oct 27, 2019
Hello there fellow member. I just came here for a few weeks and found this community is so interesting.

I'm passionate in game design and development for years. There is sometimes I got an idea for erotic game, but nothing has been really done because I have no one to talk to and no idea where I can publish the game. Since I took some time looking around this community, I decide to make my first eroge game (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง . Anyways, I don't expect things would be easy.

I know that art is important for eroge game. But I'm not so good at painting or modeling. So, my style is pixel art, not sure if anyone around here interested in this kind of art. And about the Patreon, I rather working on this just for my self desire. But it would be great if I can quit my job and working as full time indie game developer. If anyone has some advice about how to keep up with the project and how to do Patreon. I would appreciate your help. =]

PS.Thanks to AI Syoujyo that make me discovered this community. And since I'm working in a game development career, you guys can PM me if you need help on game development. I'm gladly to help you.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I doubt pixal art erotic scenes are popular. They are just not detailed enough to spike people's fantasies. It's just hard to get aroused seeing two small figures humping each other.

But you don't need to be able to model or paint to create art. Most games on here use Daz to create their art. It's a render program where you set-up scenes with pre-made models. There are tons of pirated models in the release asset section on here, which you can use to start with. It will require some tweaking and combining different assets, but overall you shouldn't have to model anything.

As for patreon, I think as long as there is no explicit sex scenes on your patreon page, and no incest in your game (not sure how they feel about other stuff like rape, beastiality or order illegal fetishes), they should approve of your page pretty quickly.

As for earning money with it, you will need a good game (duh), a regular update schedule of at most 2 months apart when starting out, and post development updates on your patreon page or your games discord server or on the forums you release your game on, regulary. People are more likely to support a game which they can clearly see is still being worked on, then some game which they hope is still getting developed.

Reactions: 888hydra

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I doubt pixal art erotic scenes are popular.
You sir, don't know the internet. I find most Pixel art supporters have moved to various discord channels, (a lot of communities have), but you can still find nsfw pixal art subbreddit, and a lot of that work deals with games.

I have tried to do pixel art, it was probably the hardest thing I ever tried to get good at.

If anyone has some advice about how to keep up with the project and how to do Patreon.
first, you put time and effort, probably some money into your work,
then you get results
then you start to make a bit of money

many posts asking about this stuff want to get to the money as fast as possible, not because they are greedy or want to make a quick buck, but because of that first phase of getting started takes so much time, effort, and even capital that it is hard to get started without a bit of an income. If you are working, it is hard to find the time to work on your projects.

if you do want to succeed, you will have to break your back, bending over, as you try to do basically the impossible.

Now it can be done, it does not take an incredible amount of work to make a game that captures peoples attention and gets you started. However, learning all the stuff is what kills people's attention spans. I'm lucky in that I love to learn and understand things, for example, as an artist, I am more of a technical artist rather than an artcy fartcy kind of artist, I don't want to make art, but I do want to have the skills to make good art.

I do recommend focusing on games that have a small focus point, maybe two focus points, as in maybe a fetish, a niche, a particular game mechanic, just because such a game is manageable and is effective at capturing an audience. Basically, if you specialize the game, people who like what you make will feel catered to since it not only focuses on something they like, but because it has a single focus, such games can explore more on the topic than games that try to have a little bit of everything.

making a game that most people will like will mean making a game no one loves. well not really. making a game for many is hard and time-consuming, as you are constantly compromising. I stopped making games for people, I focused on niches, then I stopped and decided that in the end, the one person I want to focus on is me (but that is an extreme case, lol) so I derp around for fun :p. For example, games with choice, the more choice you allow a player to have in a game or situation, the exponentially more time and work it takes to actually complete the game.

my background is doing coding for 12 years, game making for about a decade, and art for 6 years (focusing mostly on 3D now). I end up not having the time to focus on projects (despite many attempts to work with people and teams, in real life I am in college, work, and part of many technology clubs, just got done with a robot competition), so I really just screw around with ideas, be it code, art, etc.

I wouldn't say pixel art has the strongest community, there are some amazing competition out there, but as I said it is the hardest art form I have ever attempted to master, it looks so deceptively simple, all art plays on psychological tricks, but pixel art focus on tricking the brain the most, and it is why it is so hard to get right. Right now I focus on 3d, but I am trying to make graphics that are like that of Diablo 2, but not so primitive looking.

basically, if it is a passion, expect a slow burn over the next two years, only after making enough headway to start making posts, will you start to get attention, and even after that it would still take a while before you really start to draw people in. You won't be able to commit to it truly, until you get money from it, but you can only make money after already putting a lot into it.