any advice when you're starting a new game

Dodix

Jan 18, 2018
im trying to start new game.i need help of what should i start working on ""beside my language "" xD

Loqic

Royal Jelly
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Well, just start creating something, get depressed because you failed miserable, get over your depression and get motivated again. Scrap your first project and think about what would work better.
After dicking around with an engine for too long and finding out you don't know what you're doing, it might be a good time to watch some tutorials and try again. Repeat those steps when you start on your artwork or renders.

Dodix

Jan 18, 2018
Well, just start creating something, get depressed because you failed miserable, get over your depression and get motivated again. Scrap your first project and think about what would work better.
After dicking around with an engine for too long and finding out you don't know what you're doing, it might be a good time to watch some tutorials and try again. Repeat those steps when you start on your artwork or renders.
thanks im gonna try that

alwaysunqualified

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2020
Well i'm on my third attempt to try to make something at least this time i made something playable. Now I'm depressed because i found out how bad i am at english.

Erein

Dec 4, 2017
Hey guys, I also want to start a game but I'm trying to figure out where to start for a mobile game.
My plan is to start using an easy technology to build the system/world of the game and then, start the mobile game and aim for a multiplayer kind game.

Any idea on any tech I could use for a first draft ?

SerokMinmas

Sep 6, 2016
My main suggestion is to actually finish things, There is no shame in making a small project, like a 10 minute "almost-game", making something to a point where you can say, "Well, this is DONE!" is actually really cool, and very encouraging for next projects.

But the thing is, if you plan a really ambitious 1h game, with a progression system and branching paths, and you lose the will to develop after you get a 10 minute "almost-game", you will end up feeling like a failure, even if it ends up similar to what I described above.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't go in over your head, start small, have fun, and when you feel like you can do something ambitious, let that flow and ride the wave.

Good luck!

Erein

Dec 4, 2017
Which technology would be more fitted though ??

I mean, good tutorials and the community is friendly.

Last edited:

SerokMinmas

Sep 6, 2016
If you want to start and head STRAIGHT into your idea, I'd go with Unity

But I would try some other things before, try making some small games in RPG Maker or Unity.

Dont go in over your head, that can be extremely discouraging.

Erein

Dec 4, 2017
From what I searched, between Unity and RPG Maker, only Unity is accessible (I mean free to start using).

I'll try to start with Unity then (the thing that scares me is that I may have to do some modeling just to have a ground, and I'm not confident in it).

Thanks for the advice though !

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
What I've been struggling the most with working on my game is the fact that my usual organized, methodical methods that I use at my day job really don't work for me when trying to be creative. When I'm being creative I'm all over the place and things are not remotely orderly.

I'm brainstorming random things and writing down every idea I have. I'm creating characters with a backstory and playing out different scenarios for them in my head while watching TV. I'm eavesdropping on a conversation in a restaurant and realize I just HAVE to have a character like this bitch I've been listening to... I'm watching a music video on Youtube and get inspiration for a new scene from this music video I just watched and feel compelled to make a similar scene or parody in my game, etc.

I think the closest thing to any sort of order or method for me is that any time I think of something I write it down so I don't forget it. Then I have to try and make sense of all this random stuff I'm throwing at the wall later and figure out which things I want to use, which ones don't really fit, etc.