Any Advice?

May 12, 2020
Hello,

I'm a new developer of a visual novel. I currently have a kinetic version for a teaser in hopes to generate interest and funds.

I was just wondering if there are any other developers that can or should i say willing to give me advice or share any good threads on any aspect really. Mainly how to get people to know about it, places like this to share etc...

thank you for your time and any advice you're willing to share.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured this would be the safest place not to get in trouble.
I'm new to all this, never post usually lurk on forums, so please forgive any mistakes.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I was just wondering if there are any other developers that can or should i say willing to give me advice or share any good threads on any aspect really.
My advice will be to not rely exclusively on the others.
There's tons of threads talking about Ren'py, in the programming section of this forum, just use the prefix filter to keep only the threads related to Ren'py, and read the ones that interest you.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
It depens on what kind of advices/help you're looking for but pretty much any questions you may have has been asked here already so just use the search function to look for it.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hello,

I'm a new developer of a visual novel. I currently have a kinetic version for a teaser in hopes to generate interest and funds.

I was just wondering if there are any other developers that can or should i say willing to give me advice or share any good threads on any aspect really. Mainly how to get people to know about it, places like this to share etc...

thank you for your time and any advice you're willing to share.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured this would be the safest place not to get in trouble.
I'm new to all this, never post usually lurk on forums, so please forgive any mistakes.
https://f95zone.to/threads/the-bloo-guide-2020-02-07.1636/

Sinfall Studios

Game Developer
May 31, 2020
I would echo what others have said - what advice are you after?

Personally I'm still quite new at all this, but I think one of the best ways to learn what makes a good game is to play a fair few, and notice what you enjoy and what you don't. Then go and make something you would want to play. You won't stay engaged with it if it doesn't excite you once the initial rush of creating something goes away.

May 12, 2020
I would echo what others have said - what advice are you after?

Personally I'm still quite new at all this, but I think one of the best ways to learn what makes a good game is to play a fair few, and notice what you enjoy and what you don't. Then go and make something you would want to play. You won't stay engaged with it if it doesn't excite you once the initial rush of creating something goes away.
thanks for replying, I'm ok with writing, designing etc...
I what i need now is getting it out there to generate interest and hopefully dollar or two lol. so more the distribution end. Like how and where to post it in here with out pissing people off. should i use mega for people to download from or is another place better etc...
Right now it's just a Kinetic novel, no choices. I wanted to get reaction and feed back. The game version is being down now.
I'm going to go over the links that was posted in an earlier response but sometimes you can get some gems of wisdom from asking too.
Maybe a little background on me would be helpful.
I'm a semi retired professional photographer who only does boudoir now and have been an artist all my life, mainly sketch. I have been an amateur 3d artist off and on for a long time, the first thing i created was on mor-ray which used pov-ray for rendering. also designed and coded my own website for my photography studio, so i'm ok with learning code. Using renpy is just a little learning curve so no big deal with that just getting it all done. Been writing for a long time just never had the guts to try and get published, hate rejection.

anyway like i said i will check out all the links
but any gems would be welcomed.
thanks again

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
thanks for replying, I'm ok with writing, designing etc...
I what i need now is getting it out there to generate interest and hopefully dollar or two lol. so more the distribution end. Like how and where to post it in here with out pissing people off. should i use mega for people to download from or is another place better etc...
Right now it's just a Kinetic novel, no choices. I wanted to get reaction and feed back. The game version is being down now.
I'm going to go over the links that was posted in an earlier response but sometimes you can get some gems of wisdom from asking too.
Maybe a little background on me would be helpful.
I'm a semi retired professional photographer who only does boudoir now and have been an artist all my life, mainly sketch. I have been an amateur 3d artist off and on for a long time, the first thing i created was on mor-ray which used pov-ray for rendering. also designed and coded my own website for my photography studio, so i'm ok with learning code. Using renpy is just a little learning curve so no big deal with that just getting it all done. Been writing for a long time just never had the guts to try and get published, hate rejection.

anyway like i said i will check out all the links
but any gems would be welcomed.
thanks again
The more download site choices you offer, the more chances someone will download your product... Mega is a great site for that, but it has it's limits... Mega has a daily download limit if a member does not pay for unlimited downloading... That may delay someone trying your product, or drive them away entirely if they've reached their limit already... Some download sites may even require signing up for membership that some folks are unwilling to do... A site that doesn't require signup is NOPY, which has unlimited downloading for all, but it sometimes slows down due to heavy traffic... So that is another options as well...

As to Ren'py, there are dozens of helpful tutorial videos out there from beginners tutorials to more advanced ones... And it is designed with Visual Novels in mind... You can do lots of stuff with it, to include complex game mechanics... Just requires much more advanced coding depending on the complexity of the mechanic you want to add... There are lots of folks out there, to include folks on this site, who I'm sure would be more then willing to help out... Just look in the appropriate forums section...

Also, I mentioned this earlier to someone else's thread, there are other sites that also host erotic/adult visual novels and games, like this one... I could list some, but it's just easier to find them by googling "erotic games", "adult games", "erotic visual novels", "adult visual novels" and so on... You'll see a pattern of several popular hosting sites that don't have any involved costs... Be weary of any posting sites that charge money... Other then the big donation hosting sites...

Zip

May 12, 2020
The more download site choices you offer, the more chances someone will download your product... Mega is a great site for that, but it has it's limits... Mega has a daily download limit if a member does not pay for unlimited downloading... That may delay someone trying your product, or drive them away entirely if they've reached their limit already... Some download sites may even require signing up for membership that some folks are unwilling to do... A site that doesn't require signup is NOPY, which has unlimited downloading for all, but it sometimes slows down due to heavy traffic... So that is another options as well...

As to Ren'py, there are dozens of helpful tutorial videos out there from beginners tutorials to more advanced ones... And it is designed with Visual Novels in mind... You can do lots of stuff with it, to include complex game mechanics... Just requires much more advanced coding depending on the complexity of the mechanic you want to add... There are lots of folks out there, to include folks on this site, who I'm sure would be more then willing to help out... Just look in the appropriate forums section...

Also, I mentioned this earlier to someone else's thread, there are other sites that also host erotic/adult visual novels and games, like this one... I could list some, but it's just easier to find them by googling "erotic games", "adult games", "erotic visual novels", "adult visual novels" and so on... You'll see a pattern of several popular hosting sites that don't have any involved costs... Be weary of any posting sites that charge money... Other then the big donation hosting sites...

Zip
thank you, that was very helpful and appreciated.