any budget external SSD recommendation

MyLewdForm

Apr 3, 2020
so any recommendation for SSDs 1TB+ , i care to be durable and have decent speed but not bein very costy, i use Samsung T7 and they pretty good and have no issue with em but im thinking to buy something else too and not just have samsung

Jofur

May 22, 2018
I needed one recently. However all of them were incredibly overpriced(like twice the cost of an internal SSD). So I just bought a case for normal 2.5-inch SSD of Amazon for like 5 bucks instead. It's worked wonders for me so far.

BC0349D6-114F-46A3-B2DC-B044A831CB49.jpg

Reactions: Luderos

MyLewdForm

Apr 3, 2020
theres no cons to using internal SSD as an external SSD? like is fine if u keep unplugging it etc?

Jofur

May 22, 2018
theres no cons to using internal SSD as an external SSD? like is fine if u keep unplugging it etc?
I haven't noticed any issues. If anything it might have advantages since if the USB stuff breaks you just have to buy a new case/cable. Not to mention you can easily switch between using it internally and externally one as the mood takes you.

That said it doesn't hurt to read up or watch a couple of YouTube videos about before you rush out to buy a new SSD. I only have a 200gb one I use as a glorified USB stick.

fyl3toys

Dec 24, 2021
I've always bought Samsung SSD's for all my builds. This last build though I purchased one of those budget Crucial SSD's as an extra hard drive and I've been very happy with it.

Vanderer

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
So any recommendation for 2.5 inch SSDs?
Depends what you need it for.

If you need to write a lot on it, or use it for games, you need one with DRAM in it. If it's more for stockage, or for applications that do not require a lot of writting a dram-less will be okay.

Depends on your budget too. Generally I go with what is from a decent brand on clearance unless I build a high performance pc.

Wd blue or crucial mx500 are ssd that I put on several pcs whitout problem. Admitedly I did not build a lot of pc those two last years so it could have changed.