Any preferred video/gif editing program?

Leithreas

Oct 29, 2018
Howdy all,

Maybe too simple of a question, but: for HTML/Twine games with gifs/mp4 clips, do folks have recommendations for a program for clipping/giffing/etc.? Hopefully something not too complicated. I'm really just hoping to make my own .mp4 clips, ideally with the option to include or remove sound (to reduce file size) as needed.

I was using screen-to-gif to gif a few things, then found out webm is a lot smaller than gif with similar quality so was converting the gifs to webm, then found out webm isn't nearly as compatible as mp4s. So. If I'm going to stick with .mp4 I could gif from the video files then convert them back to mp4s but that seems pretty damn roundabout. Thought I'd see if anyone has experience with good (or bad) programs for clipping/super simple video editing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I would consider 2 tools
GIMP and Blender, both free.

Gimp is an image editing program. For the most part it lets you do one major thing, combine a bunch of images (frames) together into a gif. it is not the best tool for working with animations, but it is the one thing that can reliably make gifs for me.

Blender is a 3D modeling program, it tries to do a little of everything. One thing you can do is, open a video or something, and export individual frames (that you can then load into gimp to export as a gif). Blender has a built in video editing program, where you can edit sounds as well, and export .mp4s (optionally you can convert gifs to videos)

Gimp lets you make some broad changes to files (open up all the images as layers) and crap the video to the size of what you want to see, and reexport out all the layers.

Now I just do simple file conversions so I cant say to much about general video editing tricks you can do using the two programs.