Ren'Py Any recommended tutorials, templates or reads for renpy?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Firstly keep in mind that most tutorials and stuff were written a long while go. Some things have improved since then and some things are better understood.

In addition, keep in mind that the reason so many RenPy games exist is that it is relatively easy to create a project. But that ease means that the majority of projects are written by people who barely understood what they were doing. Just because you see the same code used over and over doesn't mean it is the better solution, just the one that everyone else copy/pasted the most.

As for actual resources...
  • RenPy itself includes two "test" projects. "The Question" is relatively simple. Whereas "Tutorial" includes a lot of diverse and somewhat advanced topics.
  • are nice pleasant introduction.
  • are a little more indepth.
  • Alternatively, there's Dan Cox's too.
  • YouTube has other videos too :
  • RenPy's own documentation includes a topic which is worth a read.
  • In fact, their whole section is worth browsing through at least once.
  • Also there's the official forum posts within the .

All the YouTube channels I've specifically mentioned and the other sources do duplicate a lot of information. But that just means you'd be learning the same thing from different perspectives.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Like 79flavors said there is no one size fits all approach, but I too recommend Thundorn. But also has they mentioned, " and the other sources do duplicate a lot of information " Thundy tought me heaps but there was a couple things that I already knew how to do either better or easier because I'd seen a different approach in another video that taught me less, however it thought me something specific.

You just have to watch and read and google, I still do it hoping to learn one thing, or an easier way to do something I laready know.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In addition, keep in mind that the reason so many RenPy games exist is that it is relatively easy to create a project. But that ease means that the majority of projects are written by people who barely understood what they were doing. Just because you see the same code used over and over doesn't mean it is the better solution, just the one that everyone else copy/pasted the most.
Regarding this, it's due to the fact that Ren'py is a relatively flexible engine.

There's rarely just a single way to do something, therefore everyone will tend to come with a solution that follow his own mind process.
On top of this, there's the fact that Ren'py have an average of 6 updates by year, with more than 15 years of existence ; all this with, until the 7.x version, a strong care regarding backward compatibility. What mean that, over the years, the native capabilities of Ren'py itself evolved. What previously needed a hack can now be done natively, or at least more easily.
And finally, like Ren'py offer a direct access to Python, you can extend by yourself what is feasible.

All this lead to a game code either looking like so many others, or at the opposite looking like no others ; depending if the other copy/pasted a lot or, at the opposite, tried to come with his own solutions. There not really an in between.

In the end, all this mean that the best way to learn is to hear/read what others have to say, but also to experiment by yourself.