Request Any Ren'Py alternatives?

SaynedBread

Jul 31, 2024
I am searching for a game engine like Ren'Py that is cross-platform and preferably written in something like Rust or C++.

Does anyone know a game engine like that?

Nov 27, 2023
that would be a terrible idea imo something like renpy should be as high level as possible and optimize for workflow efficiency. its not like you need raw pointers and lifetimes to render a jpeg

Jul 23, 2023
Imagine a GAME engine written in fucking PYTHON, must be bad lmao. I mean it's not even a game engine, VNs can be made with any other engines besides cringy renpy
have you tried googling? what about Kirikiri?

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
There are several alternatives to Ren'Py, but honestly, none of them are as mature as Ren'Py. I know Ren'Py has its limitations, but it is still the best option.

I have tested some other alternatives, but honestly, if you are looking for an engine to create visual novels based on your proficiency with a programming language you already know, I would still recommend learning Python and using Ren'Py.

If your concerns are different, then it is important to thoroughly study the alternatives to avoid reinventing the wheel, especially since players are very accustomed to playing with Ren'Py.

Some alternatives include:

• Godot Engine
  • Unreal Engine (Visual Novel Framework)
  • Cocos2d-x
  • supersakura (SDL)
One important point: although Ren'Py is primarily based on Python, it allows integration with C++ code for specific tasks.

SaynedBread

Jul 31, 2024
I would still recommend learning Python and using Ren'Py
I know Python, it was my first language but I don't really like it, that's why I'm searching for a "game engine" in a different language.

I've used Godot before but it doesn't seem mature enough yet, but it has support for godot-rust so I could make it work. As for the Unreal Engine Visual Novel Framework I've never used it but I'll test it right now, I got time anyways.

Reactions: OldHiccup