Anyone else hate holiday specials?

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
They are 9/10 times just a waste of time. They never add anything since most devs want to keep the teasing going so you don't get any farther sexually with the characters and usually they are just dull side-stories that are very boring. All Halloween and Christmas special "updates" do is delay the next actual update. Anyone else agree?

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
it makes no sense unless the christmas happens in game. I have no idea why people insist on making it a separate fictional event. wasted effort, wasted time. if you want to make a christmas event so much, write it into your main plot.

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
Oh no! I'm sad to hear this because I've recently released a Christmas-themed holiday special. I worked hard on it though, making sure it had custom art & an engaging story. It's short tho, & it does have the same premise as my main game, but with Christmas themed art.

I wanted to create this as a special bonus game to give to my Patreon supporters.

Is this something I shouldn't have done?

Reactions: Cokane0

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
I'm never a fan of it unless it fits into the Game. People don't always play these Games/Updates right when they release, so if you play a Game and out of nowhere you get a Halloween/Christmas Update ...and its June for you - kinda weird.

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
Is this something I shouldn't have done?
No, you're fine. People just have opinions. Do what you want. Some people will appreciate the little specials.

I'm never a fan of it unless it fits into the Game. People don't always play these Games/Updates right when they release, so if you play a Game and out of nowhere you get a Halloween/Christmas Update ...and its June for you - kinda weird.
Yea that's odd but I could look past it.

I don't know, I don't really care for specials in general. Holiday or otherwise. Kinda have to agree with the OP.
Still doesn't bother me when I run into one, I appreciate it for what it is. Usually it's cute and fun and a one off and the Dev puts some love into it.

What about wallpapers or just photo shoots of characters in whatever holiday costumes? I like those.

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
Yeah I did have 1 person unsubscribe from my Patreon complaining I was wasting time on a spin-ofd that I could have been spending on the actual game. Other feedback on the Christmas spinoff has been positive though, but I do appreciate what that person meant.

I'll probably do fewer in future :-/

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
There was this prologue special episode for one of my favorite games that threw me off. Younger versions of some of the main characters including the MC. There were some 'roommate'/'landlady' characters introduced that I had never seen before.
I did end up deleting it after a short play through.
If It was a long flashback sequence there's no doubt I would have completed it, and possibly have really enjoyed it, to get on with the main story.

Reactions: Trojaner

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I don't do them as it doesn't appeal to me and sometimes seems confusing to teh original game. However some devs like to make them and they have their reason. Still not a fan to be honest.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I ended up releasing in December, with the game ending December 31st. So there IS actually xmas events and new year's events happening. It wasn't planned like that (I originally thought I might hit late summer), but... timing is what it is.

• Star-struck

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
I ended up releasing in December, with the game ending December 31st. So there IS actually xmas events and new year's events happening. It wasn't planned like that (I originally thought I might hit late summer), but... timing is what it is.
Anything you do is gold. Shush now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Droid Productions