Anyone else noticed more and more games only getting public release updates?

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
I have noticed that more and more games lately are only getting the public releases posted on the site. Its really odd because just maybe half a year ago its was only a matter of at most a week and the latest patreon version of most games was uploaded to its page. What do you guys think is causing this? Maybe the 2020 curse has hit F95 as well.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
At some level, the people supporting the patreon is supporting the dev, and hoping they'll continue working on the game.

I think they understand that by undercutting the early release that's patreon only, they're also actively hurting the developer's ability to make a living out of this, and they want to them succeed. Of course, as the fanbase gets larger, people probably ignore that, but for smaller devs I think it's definitely a thing that their patreons are quite protective of their devs.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
I don't see the point in making patreon only content in your game at all. Its more work and it will keep people away who refuse to support devs who are only in it for the money because that often leads to games getting worse over time or ridiculous prices for releases. Of course most devs should be able to make a living out of it but that has nothing to do with pirates, it has something to do with how weird the people on patreon are.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I don't see the point in making patreon only content in your game at all. Its more work and it will keep people away who refuse to support devs who are only in it for the money because that often leads to games getting worse over time or ridiculous prices for releases. Of course most devs should be able to make a living out of it but that has nothing to do with pirates, it has something to do with how weird the people on patreon are.
I assume this is talking about how only the public releases are put up on F95, so the patreon only releases don't leak (at least from smaller developers). It's quite common to release the game for patreons only two or four weeks or so before you do a public release. Some also do cascades (release v5 for high tier patreons, v4 for low tier patreons and v3 for everyone on the same day).

There's definitely two types of patreons; those that support the game because they want to support the creator, and those that support the game because they want access earlier. Games in Love of Magic, which just releases public to everyone (and has open betas accessible for anyone on Discord) only attract the first of those two (which is, I agree, stupid on my part).

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
I assume this is talking about how only the public releases are put up on F95, so the patreon only releases don't leak (at least from smaller developers). It's quite common to release the game for patreons only two or four weeks or so before you do a public release. Some also do cascades (release v5 for high tier patreons, v4 for low tier patreons and v3 for everyone on the same day).

There's definitely two types of patreons; those that support the game because they want to support the creator, and those that support the game because they want access earlier. Games in Love of Magic, which just releases public to everyone (and has open betas accessible for anyone on Discord) only attract the first of those two (which is, I agree, stupid on my part).
Its not stupid on your part, its actually what patreon should've been in the first place but enough devs abused this system and patrons accepted it.

Sinfall Studios

Game Developer
May 31, 2020
Its not stupid on your part, its actually what patreon should've been in the first place but enough devs abused this system and patrons accepted it.
To me though you have to look realistically at human nature - you need to give people some incentive to give you their money, and the early access system is probably the fairest way there is. For anyone who doesn't want to pay, they still get the full update a few weeks later, which when you think about it, is incredibly generous from devs who might be spending hundreds of hours a month working on their game. Speaking as a game dev, sure, I do really enjoy making my game most of the time, but it would not be worth the huge investment of time unless I was getting some financial reward from it.

Reactions: DuniX

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
To me though you have to look realistically at human nature - you need to give people some incentive to give you their money, and the early access system is probably the fairest way there is. For anyone who doesn't want to pay, they still get the full update a few weeks later, which when you think about it, is incredibly generous from devs who might be spending hundreds of hours a month working on their game. Speaking as a game dev, sure, I do really enjoy making my game most of the time, but it would not be worth the huge investment of time unless I was getting some financial reward from it.
I know how much work goes into a game, don't worry. I wouldn't say its incredibly generous because the game will show up sooner or later anyway, except no one plays it really, it is more a good promotion for their own game because the more people see it the more likely it is to get more support. And lets face it the evil pirates, especialy here on f95, often even help devs with explaining DAZ to them, help them with writing, proofreading, giving them ideas and tips on how to improve their game or even testing their game to make sure its free of bugs. Sure its not the mass of users but its not that devs wouldn't gain anything from it especially since writers and proofreaders usually take money.

For smaller devs it is only a advantage if they release public on sides like this here, for the ones who make 10k or more each month not so much because a big amount of patrons always attracts more even if the dev just milks them and gives them 1 update a year if they are lucky.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What I think is causing this ? Well it's relatively simple. To have the none public version here, you need to find someone who have this version and decide to share it.

In the past it worked because the amount of game was, relatively speaking, limited. Finding someone who was a patron of "this" dev, or was interested enough in the game to search it elsewhere, then kind enough to share it with us, was easier.
But nowadays you can easily have more than 50 new games during a single month. Those kind people have limited funds and limited times, they can't pledge for too many games, nor search too many of them elsewhere. Of course, the number of members here also raised considerably, but most of them come for the free games, not for the sharing spirit.
You can see it not only by the lack of none public updates, but also by the gap between the version released here for some games. Even when the updates are public, they aren't all shared here.

In a community, every one have to take his share of the job for it to works. So, instead of complaining about authors who don't end releasing all their updates publicly, do your part, and get/find the private updates and share them with us. Obviously, you don't have to do it for all the games, but if only 0.01% of the members were doing it for just 3 or 4 games, you would find all the updates.
And you can do it while still caring about the author interest, by example by waiting one week before leaking the update.