Daz Anyone have any luck with this hair?

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
I really, really like hair for my FMC, completes her look fantastically. Problem is, I'm having a hard time trying to get the hair to render properly. It takes around 8x longer to render than other hairs, even ones that seem more high quality, and I've yet to get rid of the grains in the stands of hair at ~2500 iterations when other hairs look good around 1000-1500. I have a picture attached of what it looks like at 2500 iterations, and it looks like it's hardly improved from 2000. I tried scene optimizer on the hair and the quality tanks badly when downsizing it, but maybe I'm using it wrong. Is there anything I should be doing to get it to render quicker or is it just a problem with this hair?

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Hi Mimir's Lab, that hair set does seem to cause problems, especially when using HDRI lighting.

Looks like it's down to the SSS being a bit wonky. Hopefully, this post should help on the strange strands.

This might also help with the performance. Did a quick test and reached 100% convergence in 2m30s (~1,500 iterations) without the SSS amount set to 0. With it at the default setting, I stopped after 1,500 iterations and the convergence was still at around 50% after 3m30.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Hi Mimir's Lab, that hair set does seem to cause problems, especially when using HDRI lighting.

Looks like it's down to the SSS being a bit wonky. Hopefully, this post should help on the strange strands.

This might also help with the performance. Did a quick test and reached 100% convergence in 2m30s (~1,500 iterations) without the SSS amount set to 0. With it at the default setting, I stopped after 1,500 iterations and the convergence was still at around 50% after 3m30.
You are a lifesaver!