Anyone know a way to turn off the shadow?

anna94

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Anyone know a way to turn off the shadow? I am using point light to light up the scene. Without point light, the environment will be so dark, I dont know why. But now it has shadow like this.. Cant have a shadow in a bathroom right...?

Screenshot (1003).png

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
I'm not sure you can turn off a shadow, but I see 2 ways to consider.

1. In the "Lights" tab, change the "light geometry" of the point light to "Disk" and play with the "height (Diameter)" parameter to soften the shadows. The higher the "height (Diameter)" value, the softer the shadow.

2. Using canvases you should be able to obtain a good result, but you'll need 2 renders and a good photo editor and some times and a lot of tests and a lot of patience and.... :D.

But don't worry. A priori, shadows are not afraid of water :ROFLMAO:

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
If it's a pointlight a sphere should be more appropriate o/
:rolleyes: Yep......
I have a little trouble in my head with spheres and disks for lights. Don't ask me why, but each time I want a sphere I click on disk...

So, of course you're right, it's the sphere which should do the trick!!!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Anyone know a way to turn off the shadow? I am using point light to light up the scene. Without point light, the environment will be so dark, I dont know why. But now it has shadow like this.. Cant have a shadow in a bathroom right...?
There are a couple of ways around this. One, as mentioned above, is to change the geometry of your point light. However, with a single light source, you're always going to have some significant shadowing. That's not a bad thing - our eyes typically expect shadows.

But if you really want to bleach out the shadow some, the easiest way is to add another light to the scene. For example, you could add a spotlight (set to something other than "point" - I usually use rectangle") to the left of the camera. This would cast a reasonable amount of light on the wall as well as the image, which will cut way down on how much shadow you see there.

This is part of the reason for the "fill" light in the classic "three point lighting" - the primary light illuminates the subject, the "fill" light shines from another direction to soften the shadows that would be on the far side of the subject.