Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
nope I don't think that will come to adult games anytime soon

you will need a super high end computer like a server grade systems with a at least 6 Nvadia P5000 or P6000

that's what I think

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
you will need a super high end computer like a server grade systems with a at least 6 Nvadia P5000 or P6000
Without talking about the skills that would be needed.

Yeah, the video is amazing, but it's not the result out of the box. It's what you can do if you pass many weeks using all the knowledge you gathered in your professional life.

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
Some others have already said it: the funds required to even get close to be able to work with this tech is immense. That is without talking about the high skill cap that is needed to make it work. Lastly, and that is just speculation, it will probably take a lot of hours to make anything useful with - and most adult games' teams are quite small.

Besides, I'd actually rather that most adult game creators would focus on the story telling and vet some of annoying tropes that keep repeating themselves.

Reactions: chainedpanda

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Additional Information

Quote from Epic's documentation

Before You Start

The MetaHuman sample is best experienced using a high-end system with a powerful graphics card. This ensures that you have a stable frame rate and are able to view the latest ray-tracing, hair, and motion capture features of Unreal Engine.

Recommended system requirements:

• Windows 10, build 1902 or later, that supports DirectX 12
  • A ray-tracing-capable NVIDIA graphics card
  • Unreal Engine 4.26.1 or later
To give a bit of clarification. It's a tool being designed to help speed up the character creation process, much like what Daz3d or Makehuman is doing, but this is design specifically for UE4 to streamline the process of character creation.

Quote from their website

We’re excited to share a sneak peek at MetaHuman Creator, a new tool that will empower anyone to create a bespoke photorealistic digital human, fully rigged and complete with hair and clothing, in a matter of minutes.
MetaHuman Creator is a cloud-streamed app that takes real-time digital human creation from weeks or even months to less than an hour
You can directly manipulate facial features, adjust skin complexion, and select from preset body types, hairstyles, clothing, and more. You can even edit your character’s teeth!
but it's not the result out of the box. It's what you can do if you pass many weeks using all the knowledge you gathered in your professional life.
That's true if you're talking about a one click button good looking render, a user can still get a good looking character render with it, but that's about it. But as far as character generation goes, it does work out of the box, if I am to assume what Epic wrote is true.

Like I mention above, this is a tool to help the user regardless if they're a game dev or film maker, generate characters and bring it into UE4 without the hassle of going through the technical aspect of the 3D character creation process. Is this good news, of course that's if you're already familiar with UE4, not so much for the rest. A lot of users on here use Daz3d and are more then content with it because it already does what they want, plus the added benefit that they don't have to worry about a nude model (which this tool does not provide).

Be it that it's great, I doubt a lot of dev's are going to jump on this. This would be a different story, if the tool allows the user to import their own models into the tool, and manipulation of the rig, in which I can see a few dev's making the switch. But so far I don't think that's the case. These characters are setup for a non adult oriented digital media, and would require a technical artist to do some changes to the rig in engine.

My personal thoughts is that, this is a great direction Epic is taking. There are already a lot of amazing tools currently present among new ones coming that will change the way dev's author their product. There is still a lot of unknown factors about this tool, and once it's release to the public only then will we know how powerful it is in terms of adult content creation. But unless the user is already familiar with UE4, most of this will just be winds to the ear.

Reactions: AcroLust
Jul 24, 2017
nope I don't think that will come to adult games anytime soon

that's what I think
Work with already made mesh is hard to just add genitals, imagine this models with 5 LOD + already triangulated
Hell no,VN? maybe without sexual content

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
You can make people with that, but can you make rooms, places, environments or anything besides people? If you can, then yes, eventually, not today or during 2021, but some day.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm thinking that since the early 2010s, I've cared less and less how many pixels are in the faces of game characters. At this point, any advancements seem relatively insignificant to my eyes. Especially compared to the massive leaps of the 90s.
Oh god yes. Passing from Wolfenstein 3D to Doom, then to Half Life and, lets say Half Life2, because no other name cross my mind, this was something.
But nowadays it's more like, "hey, we have 3 more polygons than all other games, we are the best". Of course it's great, but the steps are so small (visually speaking) in comparison. A player would notice more easily a game that use a really outdated 3D engine, than the difference between two consecutive generations of 3D engines.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Oh god yes. Passing from Wolfenstein 3D to Doom, then to Half Life and, lets say Half Life2, because no other name cross my mind, this was something.
But nowadays it's more like, "hey, we have 3 more polygons than all other games, we are the best". Of course it's great, but the steps are so small (visually speaking) in comparison. A player would notice more easily a game that use a really outdated 3D engine, than the difference between two consecutive generations of 3D engines.
True. But even worse was the relative stagnation of AI.

Most games today have AI that's dumber than a cockroach, whereas in the past each game was a huge leap forward in terms of enemy bots and intelligence. Just remember all the crafty bastards and their skillshots and headshots from ID Software's titles. We should have had near human-level coordination and decision-making from the AI by now (even if simulated and 'faked' with advanced neural nets), yet the get stuck on the navmesh in even the newest most well-funded AAA titles.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017

Most games today have AI that's dumber than a cockroach, whereas in the past each game was a huge leap forward in terms of enemy bots and intelligence. Just remember all the crafty bastards and their skillshots and headshots from ID Software's titles.
[my life]
Wasn't believing it until recently when my son described himself as casual player. For the understanding, he played in some (small) e-sport tournaments and, while never winning, was always on the podium ; would he'd been a little younger, that he would probably have past from his semi-pro team to a pro team.
Then I realized that something like 25 years after the release of games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and other Quake, that were a challenge for me, the only thing that prevented me to finish "Wolfenstein - the new order" in hardcore mode was the lack of ammunition during the final combat ; and my laziness, I could have restarted the last level.
While the habit surely play its role here, it's not normal that, at now almost 50yo, I'm able to do this. I don't have the same reflex, I have a fucking low attention spawn, and I only play for the pleasure (so generally start with a medium difficulty, increasing it only if it bore me). Games should be a challenge for me, at least when put at their maximum level of difficulty ; here a level intended for pure hardcore gamers, and that, if my memory don't betray me, is available only if you finish the game in hard mode.
[/my life]

So yeah, the AI should undeniably be better. It was undeniably better, and should have at least stagnated, not regressed.

But isn't it the cost to pay for a technology like this one ? All animations are based on motion capture, you've to pay those guys, and the technology to make the capture. Hair are near to be individually rigged-like (they aren't effectively rigged but react as if), what need that you'll have to pay a fortune the guys that can handle them. The rendering precision is so great that you've also to pay a fortune for the guys that will do the texturing. There's also the cost for the computers that you'll use to render the animations, and so on.
I don't know how much it cost to make the original Doom, but apparently the reboot cost near to US$100 millions... I doubt that the original cost even just 1% of this. So, you need to sell, and sell a lot. And to achieve this, you need to make the game playable by anyone, from the 10yo who tricked his parent, because the game isn't for him, to the old grumpy guys like me. What imply that you'd to lower the difficulty, and so limit the AI.

At least, it's the conclusion of my thinking ; after the depressing, "what the fuck, how can my son already have the age I had when he was born ?", of course ;)

[...] yet the get stuck on the navmesh in even the newest most well-funded AAA titles.
It's not necessarily always a bad thing. There's an anecdote regarding a dungeon (in Oblivion, but no guaranty) that have been changed because one of the tester past one hour only turning right, and could have been doing it eternally because he didn't understood that he already past there thousand of times. Yet I totally agree that there's a difference between this kind of situation, where too much freedom of movement can lead to confusion, and nowadays navmesh that, globally, can only lead you from A to B.
But, you need to sell. And you've no options. If you don't spend millions in the game, nobody will buy it because it don't look good. And if you spend millions, you'll need to sell it to everyone, even dumbass idiots that don't understand that you should hide when under constant fire, and that they possibly aren't walking in the right direction since it's ten minutes that they only encounter innocent rabbits.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017

Most games today have AI that's dumber than a cockroach, whereas in the past each game was a huge leap forward in terms of enemy bots and intelligence. Just remember all the crafty bastards and their skillshots and headshots from ID Software's titles. We should have had near human-level coordination and decision-making from the AI by now (even if simulated and 'faked' with advanced neural nets), yet the get stuck on the navmesh in even the newest most well-funded AAA titles.
Yep. It's ridiculous. Companies sink untold millions into graphics yet the AI and mission design are still like 15 years ago. It's like they want to focus on shit that'll show up on ads at the expense of actual playability.