Anyone Using Makehuman or Dead Deer?

Vanidal

Nov 15, 2017
[To make a relative timely context, FYI, I posted this thread in May 29, 2020]

Hi! I'm currently preparing myself to make my own VN and I see both 3D model engines I mentioned in the title as prospects other than using DAZ Studio.
Any valuable advice anyone could tell me before I delve too deep in trying both of those engines?

I like DAZ. And since I saw a lot of people are also using it, I think it would be better to use DAZ.
But I still consider using another engine if its going to help me better in creating scenes for VN.

More about me so you can know better of what I need:
- I have little experience with using Blender and Sculpture (I know how to make simple object, or Baymax kind of object, not too complex).
- I prefer to use 3D engine without steep learning curve (as I focus on the writing part of my project).
- 3D engine with wide options of free assets (human object, clothing, environment) library would be preferred (actual free from store or community made).

Thank you in advance!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I used make human, downloaded just about every asset for it.
make human is not a rendering engine, it doesn't make the pretty graphics.
It's body morphs are limited, and its 3D mesh is is rather simple (you can get versions with genitals and such).
Expect most bodies to look similar to the default look.
You pretty much are required to use another program with MakeHuman to actually make it useful, such as blender or Maya to edit and render in more detail.

for a long time I avoided daz, but with it's vast collection of pre rigged clothes I went in and was happy about it. I have a more toonish style, so even daz has a hard time working with want I want. while I hate daz's interface and render, I just need it to make characters, I port everything to blender for editing and final rendering. The main advantage of daz is, a lot lot lot more body modifications, the better 3D mesh means you can do more morphs or details than with the simpler mesh of makehuman, ie if you want the hips and legs to pinch in a particular way. a lot more skin texture options, tons more clothes option, without needing to do the extra work of shaping and rigging.

I suggest sticking with daz for now. while not a ton of free things, this is the main pirate site for daz assets, so that can help get you started.

Reactions: Vanidal

Vanidal

Nov 15, 2017
I used make human, downloaded just about every asset for it.
make human is not a rendering engine, it doesn't make the pretty graphics.
It's body morphs are limited, and its 3D mesh is is rather simple (you can get versions with genitals and such).
Expect most bodies to look similar to the default look.
You pretty much are required to use another program with MakeHuman to actually make it useful, such as blender or Maya to edit and render in more detail.

for a long time I avoided daz, but with it's vast collection of pre rigged clothes I went in and was happy about it. I have a more toonish style, so even daz has a hard time working with want I want. while I hate daz's interface and render, I just need it to make characters, I port everything to blender for editing and final rendering. The main advantage of daz is, a lot lot lot more body modifications, the better 3D mesh means you can do more morphs or details than with the simpler mesh of makehuman, ie if you want the hips and legs to pinch in a particular way. a lot more skin texture options, tons more clothes option, without needing to do the extra work of shaping and rigging.

I suggest sticking with daz for now. while not a ton of free things, this is the main pirate site for daz assets, so that can help get you started.
I like how I can easily make complex human pose in DAZ.

Alright.
Assume that I'm going to use a 3D model with pirated assets to make a VN.
What's the limit in how much I can monetize my VN? Is it safe to monetize?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
If you are in America, or in most developed continues, the copyright rights work like this.

you can buy or steal a 3D mesh, using them may be limited, ie you can't use the 3D mesh without a license in a 3D game engine.
But the moment you make a new and unique image using the 3D mesh, the image is new and considered yours, you own any images you make. its considered intrinsically transformative, and thus protected under copyright as a new work that you may own, all rights. so that includes the right to make art using a mesh without letting the owner of the 3D mesh know or acknowledged, as well as make money.

now for as much money, i can't say. but yeah, it is perfectly safe to monetize, and if I had more time I could go into the various legal defenses and cases to point out my case more, but I look at American cases mostly.

Reactions: Vanidal

Vanidal

Nov 15, 2017
If you are in America, or in most developed continues, the copyright rights work like this.

you can buy or steal a 3D mesh, using them may be limited, ie you can't use the 3D mesh without a license in a 3D game engine.
But the moment you make a new and unique image using the 3D mesh, the image is new and considered yours, you own any images you make. its considered intrinsically transformative, and thus protected under copyright as a new work that you may own, all rights. so that includes the right to make art using a mesh without letting the owner of the 3D mesh know or acknowledged, as well as make money.

now for as much money, i can't say. but yeah, it is perfectly safe to monetize, and if I had more time I could go into the various legal defenses and cases to point out my case more, but I look at American cases mostly.
Those explanation was fairly enough for me, thank you.
In short, if I want to use stolen 3D mesh, I have to modify it in a way that it is no longer seen as stolen mesh.