Are all Daz 3D creations expensive ? Or am I missing something ?

Bizef

Apr 1, 2020
We all know many adult comics or games here or somewhere else and made with Daz 3D or equivalent. Maybe the majority.

I was thinking, maybe it was because of really cheap assets. So, i looked at the prices at the Daz 3D store :
Between $20 and $50 for characters.
More than $15 for one outfit.
More than $15 for one scene.

So let's say someone want to create a small new game, or a comics, no great ambition, and let's do the math :
A dozen of characters (some importants, some not) : $200.
20 outfits (one per character + some others like underwears) : $300
Only 3 scenes : $45
Let's suppose he doesn't pay for new poses or expressions, as he could do it himself. And no extra like haircuts or objects.

So, already between $500 and $600 for a small creation.
And it doesn't even take into account the music, the sound, the UI, or any other purchases.

So, what I am missing ?
- Does everyone pirate these assets, risking a lawsuit as they often try to earn money by selling these or with their Patron ?
- Are they all experimented 3D artists ?
- Are they all rich enough to loose hundreds of dollars knowing they probably won't earn enough back ?
- Is there a way to make it cheaper i didn't see ?

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
I have collected several thousand dollars worth of assets over the years. I have also pirated some that I will use only once, so didn't want to pay a ton for a one time thing, or where I just wanted one part of the scene. But yeah, it can get expensive. I have no hope of ever earning back what I paid out over the years, but then I do this as a hobby, so I had bought most of them before I ever decided to create an actual game that people would pay for.

Bizef

Apr 1, 2020
Yes. (btw they don't risk a lot ever more since no one can know if they buy it or not)
But Daz or the artist may ask you for a proof of your purchase if they see theirs assets in your product, no ?

Douve

Jun 1, 2017
But Daz or the artist may ask you for a proof of your purchase if they see theirs assets in your product, no ?
I think Daz don't care at all, and as for the artists they know we're not "big companies" we can't afford to pay everything and we're not pro so there's a huge probability that even if you buy it you don't have the proof anymore. Plus they need to be sure it's their model you used and not an other one similar. And overall I truly believe no ones care.
They still might do a bit of money from some honest people or asset that you can't find for free (if you find it for free it means someone buy it at least once.) So I guess they're fine.
Maybe but maybe if you're doing a LOT of money they'll send you an email like "hey pls think about buying our suff :giggle:"