are Japanese games getting worse

Jun 9, 2019
Ok so i just wanted to ask how ppl feel about the industry today. i mean i love jrpg's and the perverted ones are the best VH use to be like the cream of the crop back in the day i just feel like a lot of the games being made now are hollow cash grabs quickly made to get some fast cash i mean some times you get a game that just kicks ass like

Summer Memories Plus
Ideology in Friction Append not my cup of tea but the producting value is pretty damn good
Meltys Quest
Ariadne old skool and good
i am not gonna do VN's because we could be here all day and technically not a game

i just wanted to hear how everyone feels about this maybe i am wrong idk what do you think?

Reactions: Machinist

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Some are, with pump and dump RPGs being thrown out costing hundreds of yen and poor gameplay with no linearity

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I think a lot are. Having no story and just being a quick fap relates to pretty much all of them. I don't play lots because of the censorship, but the ones I have played seem to follow the lack of story idea.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
I don't think they've gotten worse. I think the trash games have just become more numerous. It's hard to tell because i never looked at the Japanese Dlsite before the merge. Now that the English Dlsite is gone, i'm seeing a lot more games than i did before.

H3X4G3N

Mar 24, 2019
for me it`s just to much "plastic fantastic", the Models just became to much...

goofusdoofus

Dec 14, 2018
HTF does Ariadne get classified as Old School?
When I think Old school Hentai, the stuff comes to mind is more like Viper or the old Rance games.
Anything made in RPGMaker is decidedly new school because it's after the DLSite revolution when everything moved from larger teams using bespoke or heavily customized engine to using prebuilt engines with relatively minimal modification outside of assets.

In regard to your question, I think it has more to do with qauntity than qaulity, game development in general has gotten incredibly cheap and easy compared to the days of yore, so you've got this massive tidal wave of product being sold at much much lower prices all with aggressively optimized development cost.
There are also still the big studios bringing the high end production values at the same slow pace they always did.

WHAT DID DISSAPEAR is the middle weights, like Discovery, zyx, and Maika, which is a damned shame because they were typically more focused on art and writing. (Seriously, check out if you can find it.) Most of those middleweight studio were either gone or struggling to survive by 2010, and at this point I think they've all gone the way of the dodo.

> cash grabs

LOL!
NOPE!
Aside from some of the weird patreon shit like WolfZQ, this stuff is a shit way to make money.
For real, there's a reason most hgame devs usually never make more than 3 or 4 games tops- the pay is shit.
If you have the skillset necessary to put together or even contribute meaningfully to a mediocre hgame, that same skillset can probably earn you two or 3 times the money if applied to a less salacious (if far more boring) job.
Some of the best content is produced by 1-4 man teams doing it for fun or as a side hustle -but they've generally got a day Job.

Reactions: gzrtjhgtyhjljk
Jun 9, 2019
thank you all for the feedback this has given me something to think about i didn't even know they made hentai games back in 1991 lol i have a new mission thank you

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
I don't think they've gotten worse. I think the trash games have just become more numerous.
This right here! It's all about your perception bias; you're noticing more of the garbage games than the good ones.

There are many amazing games coming out recently (to not even mention the amazing games of the past, which I'm 100% sure you haven't played all of them yet, meaning you still have plenty of content to discover and enjoy)... but this comes with the price being of more bad quality games being made and getting more exposure, whereas before these games would quickly fall into obscurity and be forgotten.

kristijanEX

May 25, 2020
so is your avatar sora or roxas because both would be unacceptable lol j/k i had to hate on kingdom hearts a little i loved the first 1 omg it was when square soft could make games before they merged with enix
Well technically both...also the first game is my favorite game of all time, but I still like the sequels, even though they're not as challenging.

I'm playing KH2 on Critical Mode right now.

Rezi7272

Mar 10, 2020
Industry is growing. and because of that there is and will be more bad actors, who only care about money and if they can make them with minimal effort, they won't leave.

By the way, we are talking about sex industry, famous for milking money. :WeSmart:

Omae wa shinda

May 25, 2020
I think there are too much NPC fucking and "uninteresting" sex game especially PUZZLE out in the market.

Aug 3, 2020
Yes. The Japanese VN industry took a massive nosedive in the last 5 years or so. I'm an old fuck and have been playing/watching since 2005 or so. Where are our Blackrainbow, Crowd, Guilty+, Tinkerbell, Ole-M type studios?

There has always been a steady rise and fall of studios, save for ones like Alicesoft, however, recently many studios have just given up, or the artists have jumped ship to places like DMM.com.

One of the main problems a lot of newer games have is that they are too niche. Pure love schoolgirls. One female character NTR games. Single mom incest games. They are either super pure, or totally fucked up, and there's no middle ground. Games where you had 5-6 girls to pursue who were totally different, and maybe 1-2 of them were incest related are no more. Games where you had secret characters or plot twists died because (i suspect) people didn't want bad ends or surprises any longer.

The second problem is that places like DMM poached a lot of good artists, where they can churn out shit artwork for thousands of characters and have a steady paycheck because people are paying subscriptions for subpar shit gameplay. Smaller studios can no longer risk making games unless they have a good bankroll, and a lot of times, those bankrolling projects are pushing for rehashed shit they know that works... aka schoolgirls out the ass.

What is surprising though, is that western game devs seem to be doing just fine making diverse, fun games using 3DCG, I don't see why more Japanese studios don't try to go the patreon/subscribestar route and see if they can make it work.

Kurumi Tokisaki

Nightmare
Donor
Sep 26, 2019
I would say yeah it's kinda getting worse. More trash is noticeable and while that doesn't mean the good ones are getting worse by saying that, it still means the industry is getting more trash in it.

Nothing really crazy about it since games have to make money and stepping out to make something new is risky. I kinda miss longer games since I fell like they used to be more common but now there really isn't any incentive to do it cause take more time and money along with how pushing out garbage will usually make some money as long as it's a popular thing. Good games basically have to already be established (like Persona or Rance games) or new games pop up into the public eye and spread like crazy to make good money. It's also kinda depressing how many puzzle games exists because sometimes they'll have decent art/characters but the usually gameplay of constant match 3 puzzles is trash.

I'd say that part is more on consumers and how the market just adapts there though. No reason to make good things if trash makes money and takes less time. Only fix I can think of is if a vast majority of the market woke up one day and just stopped buying whatever trash was making money but I really doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: fidless
Aug 3, 2020
I would say yeah it's kinda getting worse. More trash is noticeable and while that doesn't mean the good ones are getting worse by saying that, it still means the industry is getting more trash in it.

Nothing really crazy about it since games have to make money and stepping out to make something new is risky. I kinda miss longer games since I fell like they used to be more common but now there really isn't any incentive to do it cause take more time and money along with how pushing out garbage will usually make some money as long as it's a popular thing. Good games basically have to already be established (like Persona or Rance games) or new games pop up into the public eye and spread like crazy to make good money. It's also kinda depressing how many puzzle games exists because sometimes they'll have decent art/characters but the usually gameplay of constant match 3 puzzles is trash.

I'd say that part is more on consumers and how the market just adapts there though. No reason to make good things if trash makes money and takes less time. Only fix I can think of is if a vast majority of the market woke up one day and just stopped buying whatever trash was making money but I really doubt that will happen.
You can see a lot of the 'market' just based on replies here on f95. Most people just want to jerk off, don't want to put in any effort to reading a story or having complex gameplay. They just want something quick to jerk to. There are players that are willing to pay $ for good gameplay, but I'd guess they have a heathly mix of fetishes they support, and unfortunately there's not a great way for games to risk dev dollars up front to find this out. Patreon's model is a lot better, as the devs can make something, and bail in 3-4 releases if it doesn't pan out.

Reactions: fidless