Are the Assest releases on this site free to use and non-copyright?

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
I’m creating a game but I’d like to know if I can use the assets and without copyright?
And if I were to use those assets by change a couple things is it still copyright?

• Haha
Reactions: 9thCrux

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
To answer the question in the title, some are free to use, but mostly they aren't. There's always a link to the original place where the asset is available, follow it and you'll find everything you need to know in this regard.

I’m creating a game but I’d like to know if I can use the assets and without copyright?
Technically, yes you can, there's nothing preventing you to do so, and no way to know, just by playing the game, that you haven't bought the assets.
Legally, no of course.

Ethically, no either. I know that we are on a site that is, among other things, a pirate one, and that all of us played at least some games without paying for them. But from my point of view, there's a difference between this, and making a game with assets acquired in the same way. You expect to make money, perhaps a living, with your game... and personally I find that it would be a real dick move to stole someone in order to earn money yourself.
Therefore, what I advice each time I answer this kind of question, is to start with pirated assets if really you can't pay for them, then each time you've earn some money with your game, to pay for one of those assets. Behind each asset there's a guy who, like you, try to make some money, he deserve it as much as you.

And if I were to use those assets by change a couple things is it still copyright?
It depend of the license. Generally, you own the property of the changes you made, and only them, and anyway it don't change a things about the original asset, that you need to acquire legally first.

Last edited:

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
To answer the question in the title, some are free to use, but mostly they aren't. There's always a link to the original place where the asset is available, follow it and you'll find everything you need to know in this regard.

Technically, yes you can, there's nothing preventing you to do so, and no way to know, just by playing the game, that you haven't bought the assets.
Legally, no of course.

Ethically, no either. I know that we are on a site that is, among other things, a pirate one, and that all of us played at least some games without paying for them. But from my point of view, there's a difference between this, and making a game with assets acquired in the same way. You expect to make money, perhaps a living, with your game... and personally I find that it would be a real dick move to stole someone in order to earn money yourself.
Therefore, what I advice each time I answer this kind of question, is to start with pirated assets if really you can't pay for them, then each time you've earn some money with your game, to pay for one of those assets. Behind each asset there's a guy who, like you, try to make some money, he deserve it as much as you.

It depend of the license. Generally, you own the property of the changes you made, and only them, and anyway it don't change a things about the original asset, that you need to acquire legally first.
Alright thank you for the reply, btw I don’t intend on straight up taking someone’s assets and using it otherwise all games would look and be the same plus that’s a douche move lol.

SoraBlack

Jan 1, 2019

Legally, no of course.

Due to that I wouldn't make a game for money when I only have pirated stuff... But yeah most assets costs so much that most normal living people can't afford it to buy these assets especially good ones... But yeah like you said it's a mind thing.

It's a bit tricky if you use DAZ 3D assets from their store:

If you do it legally, that means by buying the assets you also have to choose for which kind of game you want to use it:
A. By making a "normal" Visual Novel game you only have to pay for the assest itself but
B. if you make 3D game like a shooter, a rpg or a visual novel with 3D models (not renderings) you have to pay for a license when buying an asset..
But yeah if you only look for copyright stuff you only have to read the descriptions of each asset this uphere ^ is only when buying something from the DAZ 3D store....
Hope it helped you!

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
Due to that I wouldn't make a game for money when I only have pirated stuff... But yeah most assets costs so much that most normal living people can't afford it to buy these assets especially good ones... But yeah like you said it's a mind thing.

It's a bit tricky if you use DAZ 3D assets from their store:

If you do it legally, that means by buying the assets you also have to choose for which kind of game you want to use it:
A. By making a "normal" Visual Novel game you only have to pay for the assest itself but
B. if you make 3D game like a shooter, a rpg or a visual novel with 3D models (not renderings) you have to pay for a license when buying an asset..
But yeah if you only look for copyright stuff you only have to read the descriptions of each asset this uphere ^ is only when buying something from the DAZ 3D store....
Hope it helped you!
I mean how would someone even know if I’m using the assest “illegally” per say? Not copyright but how would someone know I’m using pirated assets?

SoraBlack

Jan 1, 2019
I mean how would someone even know if I’m using the assest “illegally” per say? Not copyright but how would someone know I’m using pirated assets?
Only if the guys know you and you say it to someone.... so be careful...
I personally wouldn't credit this site on your game page so... yeah just be careful... (You can still publish your game here tho :KEK: )

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
Only if the guys know you and you say it to someone.... so be careful...
I personally wouldn't credit this site on your game page so... yeah just be careful... (You can still publish your game here tho :KEK: )
Might just go illusion studio daz seems expensive

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I suspect this is the method that a lot of devs use, at least for their first project. Rather than buying all of the assets up front and maybe never getting any return on that investment, they use pirated assets and then buy them after the fact if and when they start making money on their project.

I don't feel guilty using pirated assets for my mod but I would buy them if I was going to use it in a game of my own that I was trying to get people to pay for.

Reactions: Soccergod2666

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
I suspect this is the method that a lot of devs use, at least for their first project. Rather than buying all of the assets up front and maybe never getting any return on that investment, they use pirated assets and then buy them after the fact if and when they start making money on their project.

I don't feel guilty using pirated assets for my mod but I would buy them if I was going to use it in a game of my own that I was trying to get people to pay for.
Understood

Aug 19, 2019
I am also interested in this question.
I was also planning on creating a VN but I started thinking about these things.

Daz Studio website says this about license:

"Standard License Agreement vs. Interactive License:

The Standard License Agreement for content purchased on the Daz 3D website allows you to do some really neat stuff. A few of those things are:

• 1- Render out images
  • 2- Render out videos
  • 3- Render out an HDRI or Virtual Reality scene

Any of these you render out are completely owned by you. You can use them, sell them, modify them, pretty much whatever you want. This is allowed by the because what you are delivering to the end consumer is not the actual 3D content, but a render of it.

If however,

You want to create an experience where someone can alter what is happening, such as an application or a video game that changes depending on what the user does, then such things will generally require access to information about the 3D assets so that it can move them around, alter them, and generally manipulate them to change the user experience.

This would not be covered under the standard and would require that you purchase an Interactive License for any of the content that you are using in this way. As a note: not all content offers an Interactive License option. This is a choice that the creators of each piece of content have and can choose to offer or not."

My question about this is:
What is an interactive experience? I know these games or more like renders are not Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds but since we alter what is happening by creating choices in VNs, do these things qualify as interactive?
Or interactive is when I can move a character with WASD or shoot or do first person/3rd person etc.?

I don't know how other creators do/use the assets they have, nor do I judge or condone but I don't want to start my VN just to get f@cked in the ass by a lawyer especially that I couldn't really pay for a lawyer for a longer period.

I know on, for example Renderosity I think, it is mentioned on the asset's page whether it is for commercial or non-commercial use. But on daz I don't see it or in any Readme file after downloading the asset.

But it is possible I don't know where to look.

Last edited: