Are these specs alright for casual Daz3D use?

datazzguy

Sep 27, 2017
Apologies again for the amateurish question. I found a pre-built computer for around $1000, and was wondering if the following specs are good/decent for casual Daz3D use?

CPU: Intel Core i5 11400F 2.6 GHz / 4.4 GHz (max).

RAM: 16 GB DDR4.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB GDDR6 SDRAM.

Storage: 512 GB SSD M.2.

I read somewhere that the RAM should be at least 3x higher than the VRAM, so I might upgrade that part.

Thank you.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
CPU: Intel Core i5 11400F 2.6 GHz / 4.4 GHz (max).
Should be enough. I really wouldn't recommend multi-tasking with this CPU while rendering/running Daz, though.

RAM: 16 GB DDR4
If you're running just Daz, then sure. No Chrome/Photoshop or anything of that sort open at the same time, though. I have 64GB of RAM and Daz is happy to use 28GB or so of it (probably because it can/has room to do so.). I have room to do postwork while rendering and listening to music/watching YT, etc.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB GDDR6 SDRAM
You're gonna be sitting around a while (not able to do much else while Daz renders given the other components), should be workable if you optimize scenes well, though. Scene Optimizer will be your best friend here if you end using this card. I concur with no_name here. I'd hold off for a 30 series card, if at all possible. They ought to be going down in price soon (whether due to another major crypto crash or the 40 series cards getting released, it's going to happen sooner rather than later.)

Storage: 512 GB SSD M.2
This'll work to run Daz. But I'd grab an HDD for assets/etc. I'm nearing a TB in just Daz-related stuff. Not just assets, but renders and so forth. It stacks up quck.

datazzguy

Sep 27, 2017
Should be enough. I really wouldn't recommend multi-tasking with this CPU while rendering/running Daz, though.

If you're running just Daz, then sure. No Chrome/Photoshop or anything of that sort open at the same time, though. I have 64GB of RAM and Daz is happy to use 28GB or so of it (probably because it can/has room to do so.). I have room to do postwork while rendering and listening to music/watching YT, etc.

You're gonna be sitting around a while (not able to do much else while Daz renders given the other components), should be workable if you optimize scenes well, though. Scene Optimizer will be your best friend here if you end using this card. I concur with no_name here. I'd hold off for a 30 series card, if at all possible. They ought to be going down in price soon (whether due to another major crypto crash or the 40 series cards getting released, it's going to happen sooner rather than later.)

This'll work to run Daz. But I'd grab an HDD for assets/etc. I'm nearing a TB in just Daz-related stuff. Not just assets, but renders and so forth. It stacks up quck.
Sounds like I'd be struggling. I found a better one for an extra $520. The specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz / 4.4 GHz.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3060 12 GB.

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 (+2 extra slots so I can upgrade.)

Storage: 1 TB SSD M.2 NVMe. Found an old external 500 GB HDD to us for assets etc.

Are these specs more suited for Daz?

function2020

May 20, 2020
yes, spec 2 is much better. Actually the most important specs for DAZ are: a good NVidia card with memory bigger than 10GB, and PC memory bigger than 32GB. Other specs are not so important.

Reactions: datazzguy

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz / 4.4 GHz.
The bonus of going AMD is that you can always upgrade later. Unless you go 5900x+, or plan on doing some overclocking later on, then you really shouldn't need to upgrade the motherboard (unless you're looking for multiple m.2 slots or something of that sort.). That should be fine for now.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3060 12 GB.
I believe the 3060 performs better than the 2080s and are (surprisingly) close to ti versions of that card. Seeing as I have a 2070 Super that performs more than fine with Daz (hard to beat the 30 series speeds, though. Especially when you consider MSRP prices vs performance.), I don't see why a 3060 couldn't outperform it from what I've seen of the GPU. I'm just going off of stuff I've heard about the 3060, I don't have any hands-on experience with it. I've been using a 3080, so my expectations of its speed may be skewed, but I've read good things on it. Some more people on the Daz forum talk about it (and give some benchmarks, etc.).

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 (+2 extra slots so I can upgrade.)
It's been so long since I've had that little memory in any system that's it's hard to give you an objective answer here. 16GB should be fine, but that might want to be the first thing you upgrade. Make sure you're able to find the ram you're buying with the system now later, though, it'll make it cheaper to upgrade later instead of buying a whole new kit of ram when/if you upgrade.

Storage: 1 TB SSD M.2 NVMe. Found an old external 500 GB HDD to us for assets etc.
You might have a little trouble getting Daz to read an external HDD for the assets, but there's been some people who've made it work around. A google search should be helpful with that. If you do go the internal storage route later on for purely asset storage, a Sata SSD (2.5") will be slightly faster in loading, but not enough to demand the price difference (in Daz, at least). An HDD will be fine. Of course, this all assumes you plan on getting more serious about it later - as in developing your own VN or something of the like.

datazzguy

Sep 27, 2017
The bonus of going AMD is that you can always upgrade later. Unless you go 5900x+, or plan on doing some overclocking later on, then you really shouldn't need to upgrade the motherboard (unless you're looking for multiple m.2 slots or something of that sort.). That should be fine for now.

I believe the 3060 performs better than the 2080s and are (surprisingly) close to ti versions of that card. Seeing as I have a 2070 Super that performs more than fine with Daz (hard to beat the 30 series speeds, though. Especially when you consider MSRP prices vs performance.), I don't see why a 3060 couldn't outperform it from what I've seen of the GPU. I'm just going off of stuff I've heard about the 3060, I don't have any hands-on experience with it. I've been using a 3080, so my expectations of its speed may be skewed, but I've read good things on it. Some more people on the Daz forum talk about it (and give some benchmarks, etc.).

It's been so long since I've had that little memory in any system that's it's hard to give you an objective answer here. 16GB should be fine, but that might want to be the first thing you upgrade. Make sure you're able to find the ram you're buying with the system now later, though, it'll make it cheaper to upgrade later instead of buying a whole new kit of ram when/if you upgrade.

You might have a little trouble getting Daz to read an external HDD for the assets, but there's been some people who've made it work around. A google search should be helpful with that. If you do go the internal storage route later on for purely asset storage, a Sata SSD (2.5") will be slightly faster in loading, but not enough to demand the price difference (in Daz, at least). An HDD will be fine. Of course, this all assumes you plan on getting more serious about it later - as in developing your own VN or something of the like.
I just bought the PC with these specs and an extra 32GB of RAM, so 48GB total.

IIRC there are slots available for additional SSDs, so I will probably add that in the future and just use the external HDD for finished work.

Thank you for chiming in with your thoughts :cool: , much appreciated.