Are you a writer? Would you work part time (20 hours a week) for 15%-20% of total Patreon earnings?

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
The point of this post is to find out what rates a writer deems fair. I'd be putting in 72 hours a week of high quality work. You'd be putting in 20 hours a week of high quality writing work, 4 hours a day, 5 times per week.

If the game makes $1,000.00 a month, you'd get $150.00 a month (15%) for your part time work.
If the game makes $5,000.00 a month, you'd get $1,000.00 a month (20%) for your part time work.
If the game makes $10,000.00 a month, you'd get $2000.00 a month (20%) for your part time work .

Is this fair? Just curious what the normal rates are for writers willing to take a risk along with the developer? Also, there would be assurances so you get to enjoy that monthly income for a minimum amount of time, not just cut off once the milestones are reached.

I'd most likely get to the $1000.00 myself first, then hire a writer at $150.00 a month, so they'd get some money while taking the risk with me.

Last edited:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
hi
Writing story content or writing coded story or what?
thanks
Arigon

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
A couple of questions and observations

1. How many patreon supported adult games make it to 1K$ a month, let alone 10K$? Is there any accurate source for info on this?

The only data points I have are the handful of games that I support which also show their actual pledge levels.
- summertime saga was around 60K last time i looked, but I beleive that is an extreme outlier
- a couple of other games which were exceptional enough that I thought were worth my support had between 1K and 4K each

2. 20 hours a week sounds like a LOT of writing for an adult game
- a good story is of course important, but the graphic assets generally take far longer to create, so they would be the bottleneck.

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
Hi mate,

Regarding the salary, then perhabs instead of asking if its fair, then ask "would I do it?". I suggest you do the math regarding and compare it to what you expect to get in return from the writer.

20 hours a week, 4,3 (avg) weeks per month is 86 hours per month on average.

150$ a month, that would make the pay 1,74$ per hour. Personally, i wouldnt even considder asking what the job is about at the wage. For, and i quote you, "High quality work".

A couple of questions and observations

1. How many patreon supported adult games make it to 1K$ a month, let alone 10K$? Is there any accurate source for info on this?

The only data points I have are the handful of games that I support which also show their actual pledge levels.
- summertime saga was around 60K last time i looked, but I beleive that is an extreme outlier
- a couple of other games which were exceptional enough that I thought were worth my support had between 1K and 4K each

2. 20 hours a week sounds like a LOT of writing for an adult game
- a good story is of course important, but the graphic assets generally take far longer to create, so they would be the bottleneck.
1.Not unlikely at all to get 1k+. Thats not a problem at all. The problem is keeping the patreon followers, because alot of game creators vanishes or doesnt keep their deadlines.

2. 20 hours may seem like alot, but a game story is re-written, adjusted and revisited alot. Its not a unlikely size of hours if you are ambitious.

Last edited: