Art or DAZ Renders?

99% of games on f95 are VN games that either use hand-drawn art or DAZ renders, what do you prefer?

• Art

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Renders

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

SloanD

Apr 15, 2019
It would also be cool to hear why you prefer one over the other. I want to make a game and while i'm figuring out Ren'py i've been thinking if i should draw it or just use renders? For me using renders would be a huge time saver, but drawing everything myself would offer more flexebility and variety in terms of props and characters etc. ( i mean that i don't have to looks all over the internet fot that specific hairstyle).

NeoVlahos

Jun 17, 2017
For me the most desirable feature is the story but i am sure that i am not the majority here ... why not mix them both ?

Reactions: SloanD

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I voted for "I don't care" but honestly prefer good hand drawn art. The problem is that actual drawing takes much longer than rendering. Look at Akabur, fantastic art but takes forever to release new content.

The story should always be the first priority and the choice of art process secondary.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Another thing to consider. Good hand drawn art has a very long shelf life, meaning if it looks good now it will still look good for years to come. But look at games that use renders that were made just a few years ago, most of them look like shit compared to new stuff. So you need to ask yourself, do you want to create something disposable and forgotten in a few years or something that stands the test of time?

Reactions: MrBree and SloanD

SloanD

Apr 15, 2019
Another thing to consider. Good hand drawn art has a very long shelf life, meaning if it looks good now it will still look good for years to come. But look at games that use renders that were made just a few years ago, most of them look like shit compared to new stuff. So you need to ask yourself, do you want to create something disposable and forgotten in a few years or something that stands the test of time?
That's a really good point, with how quickly new tech is developed all the fancy renders of 2k19 will be considered outdated fairly quickly. Leaning more and more in favor of drawing everything myself

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Really well done hand-drawn art will immediately make your game stand out. I can think of at least one game here that has survived long past its other obvious flaws based on a couple of hand drawn renders that promise more.

Reactions: mickydoo

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
I am pretty sure that Honey Select covers more than 1% of the games here on this site. Anyway, I don't prefer one over the other. I have seen good daz renders and terrible daz renders, and I have also seen good drawn artwork and less impressive drawn artwork, so it is an impossible question to answer.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Some renders are art.
Some doodlings are shit.
And the other way around...

Prefer renders tho, very few drawings can capture enough details to make the scenes look real and usually they have weird lines that end up making characters look like they're meth addicts or plain ugly.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
SloanD - if you can draw you've got a leg up on most of us. I can't, or at least not consistently. I'm stashing back cash now to build a windows box (threw up in my mouth a little there) so I can render a game that I'm currently writing. I figure I'll have the writing and programming done before the first real render is ever made.

If I could draw, I would split my time between writing and drawing, it wouldn't require any other hardware, and I could finish a lot faster.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
If you can draw well, do that. Otherwise, use DAZ and focus on having good character models, good skin textures and good lighting. What stands out for good 3dcg games is the quality of the models, skins and lighting. Without good skins or lighting, models will tend to look "flat", plastic and lifeless.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
If you can draw well, do that. Otherwise, use DAZ and focus on having good character models, good skin textures and good lighting. What stands out for good 3dcg games is the quality of the models, skins and lighting. Without good skins or lighting, models will tend to look "flat", plastic and lifeless.
Well said.

Lust Demon

Apr 22, 2018
IMO, even the best renders look like "playing with mannequins." That said, after some time I did finally get used to it; art isn't the most important to me. That said, I completely understand the appeal of renders. If you don't have the time/money to get at least all of the major points drawn reasonably well, or you're going to have to mix styles that don't mesh, or you're going to have to supplement with renders anyway... IMO, use renders.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
IMO, even the best renders look like "playing with mannequins." That said, after some time I did finally get used to it; art isn't the most important to me. That said, I completely understand the appeal of renders. If you don't have the time/money to get at least all of the major points drawn reasonably well, or you're going to have to mix styles that don't mesh, or you're going to have to supplement with renders anyway... IMO, use renders.
It was said here before. Who have talent for drawing, do draw art and doying it good. Who not, can do renders, it is some kind of art too, you must know what to do and how to do and have time to do it, but you don't need talent for it. You need talent to compose scene it is same for rendered and drawed art same. Because without good scene making it is both ehmmm, not good enough.

Lust Demon

Apr 22, 2018
It was said here before. Who have talent for drawing, do draw art and doying it good. Who not, can do renders, it is some kind of art too, you must know what to do and how to do and have time to do it, but you don't need talent for it. You need talent to compose scene it is same for rendered and drawed art same. Because without good scene making it is both ehmmm, not good enough.
I read what was said, and they said it well. I will chalk it up to "language barrier". What I said is different. Not by much technically, but by a lot conceptually. I'm not sure how that translates, or to what language.

Reactions: Joraell