Daz Artifacts on shoulder

ozbozoz

Jun 6, 2018
DAZ beginner here.

Like probably a lot of others, I've run into weird artifacts on models' foreheads, which I could work around by adjusting forehead depth (saw the suggestion in another thread). Worked great.

But now I have the same kind of artifact on a model's shoulder (right collar) instead. What can I tweak to possibly get rid of this?

Model is Rebekah for V8 if it makes any difference.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
haven't seen this on a shoulder before either, but the bug usually happens because either the hair and morphs don't fit, or because the character is too far off scene center, so moving the character to the center should fix such issues.

ozbozoz

Jun 6, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply!

How far off scene center is too far? My translation values for the model (X, Y, Z) are (-219, 11, 14).

Could be some other body morph that I've mixed in though (and forgotten about), gonna have a look at that.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
How far off scene center is too far? My translation values for the model (X, Y, Z) are (-219, 11, 14).
Varies a good bit. I've seen artifacts generated with a displacement of 200, I've also seen cases where the character was a good bit farther away and no artifacts were generated.

The "hair cap" issue has to do with the way that iRay does its calculations - you're dealing with two surfaces (the skin on the bald character's head and the skin on the hair cap) that, depending on how the hair fits, maybe be overlapping one another very, very close together, or intersecting one another. When things are too far from the origin, iRay has some floating point rounding issues, and gets confused as to how the surfaces are overlapping or intersecting. Hence the artifacts.

That being said, I usually only see this with the hair cap and with the irises of the eyes, since those are the classic places of "two surfaces very close together."

If you're still struggling with this, might help if you posted a close-up of the artifact in question - sometimes seeing it will trigger an "oh, I wonder if that's X" among us.

Reactions: ozbozoz

ozbozoz

Jun 6, 2018
Great explanation, thanks!

I got rid of most of the artifact by resetting the scale on the model to 100% - I apparently had it at 95% (to compensate for V8 being a giant, she just looked silly next to the other actor in a previous shot in the same scene).

Didn't completely eliminate it though, and I'm yet to get back on it after that. I'll report my findings when I do.

ozbozoz

Jun 6, 2018
The culprit in my case seemed to be the combination of the Rebekah body morph and the clothes (dForce Multi Dress System for G8F). Scaling didn't appear to make a difference when I did an isolated test.

Clothed Rebekah -> artifact
Naked Rebekah -> no artifact
Clothed plain G8 (no Rebekah morph) -> no artifact
Clothed with Victoria morph -> no artifact

So I just tweaked the body morph a bit to get rid of it.

I guess it's just one of those things? :unsure:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
The culprit in my case seemed to be the combination of the Rebekah body morph and the clothes (dForce Multi Dress System for G8F). Scaling didn't appear to make a difference when I did an isolated test.

Clothed Rebekah -> artifact
Naked Rebekah -> no artifact
Clothed plain G8 (no Rebekah morph) -> no artifact
Clothed with Victoria morph -> no artifact

So I just tweaked the body morph a bit to get rid of it.

I guess it's just one of those things? :unsure:
the dforce multidress is basically a full body mesh that hides the clothing texture in certain places, so it can overlap like a haircap on the characters skin, you could try to scale the dress instead of the character.

Reactions: Rich and ozbozoz

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
the dforce multidress is basically a full body mesh that hides the clothing texture in certain places, so it can overlap like a haircap on the characters skin, you could try to scale the dress instead of the character.
Interesting tidbit - I didn't know that. Perhaps a push modifier set to 0.1 would work?