Artist or screen shots?

Jan 28, 2018
I have at least two more weeks of free time, and so I finished 90% of my first game, (dialogue, choices, endings, all that stuff)
My artist, is super terrible at actually doing stuff, or contacting me to say he has done anything, and I am ready to just move on without them.
(Important to note, they haven't actually started on any of the art, just "felt out" most of the characters, to see if they liked how they looked)

I would much rather find an artist, then we can partner to do all of the patreon stuff and get that going, but if that isn't feasible, the next best thing
I can see as an option would be using Skyrim to get the art for the game, with gifs and screen shots and stuff.

Would anyone be interested in reading a VN with Skyrim based OC for the art?
Much preferred, are there any artists (2d or 3d, i don't really have a preference) that would be interested in fantasy based project and starting a patreon?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
How to Talk to an Artist.

Jan 28, 2018
Background of me, and about the project, kept in different post to not make the first one a wall of text.

I have been Dungeon Mastering for almost 20 years, so I am confident in my storytelling, and world building to the extent of generating player choice, and NPC's that actually have lives and their own personalities. The dungeons in my worlds all have sleeping quarters, a kitchen, and other living areas, just like the king won't ask a group of strangers to the town to rescue his daughter just because "they are the protagonists".

Also from that experience, I have learned what I like in most games, (both video and tabletop/board) of what is interesting content, and what is grindy/fluff or annoying things that just extend the playtime. Having played a ton of rpgm, renpy, and unity visual and kinetic novels, I have a pretty good idea for what I want to accomplish with the games.

I would rather have a game that is 2ish hours long, with 5 or 6 endings, than a game that is 5+ hours long, but you have to level up several times; or hold her hand, kiss her neck, and hug her 5 times to get to the next step of kissing her mouth, and grabbing her face which require 6 times to get enough points to move further, etc.

I am actively avoiding mechanics like "Let's go to work today!" which make you move your character to do:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have played those games, and they aren't fun.

As for the game itself, it is a fantasy world with a bunch of different races, in your typical medieval setting. You are playing a Bard who is going to a new country, to learn more songs and meet new people. Along the way you meet 4 girls, and then decide which one you want to pursue. That sets you on the path of wooing that girl, (it's not automatic) and then seeing what adventures come from trying to help her, and how she influences your life and choices.

The main thing though, is the rest of the world is still going. If you pick girl A, then the other 3 girls still live, and still do what they would have done if they hadn't met you. So you can come across news articles about something that happened in a different place that one of the other girls might have done, and if you do a second play through, you can experience first hand what really happened at that event, maybe prevent it, or have it play out better.

Each girl's route will have at least 5 endings, and incorporate 1-2 fetishes. Each girl has their own interests and personalities, so one girl might be open for threesomes, another might break up with you if you try to get too kinky, and the third will leave you if you try and make the two of you exclusive. They are who they are, and you can only hope to persuade them to lean to what you like.

Jan 28, 2018
How to Talk to an Artist.

I am in a similar type of boat for this stuff, it's just the artist I work with is a defeatist, and just a conflicting personality. It took me almost a year to talk to him and become a friend, and then 3 months to show him my writing, and story concepts and ideas. He was excited about wanting to work on them, came up with designs and helped storyboard, just never actually wanting to do it. in 6 months of "him being on board" with the project, we met outside of work twice, for 3ish hours, and he got to be happy with how the characters look. No actual drawing or art for the game.
Too smart for the day job, too lazy to actually make an effort to get out of it.

Honey Tales

Donor
Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
My artist, is super terrible at actually doing stuff, or contacting me to say he has done anything, and I am ready to just move on without them.
My experience of working with artists:
1. You need a good recommendation.
2. Must be a paid job... otherwise, they won't show too much interest.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Sounds more like you tried to turn a personal relationship into a business relationship. That's often not a good way to go. I've entered into a working relationship on F95 before and we didn't spend six months becoming friends, we just told each other our needs and expectations, decided to give it a go and it worked out.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Phew, I feel lucky that I do not need to rely on other people when reading these discussions... I mean sure, my art sucks but one has to come to compromises! :ROFLMAO:

Anyways sure, go ahead, it is not the first time people use other games as screenshots.

Reactions: mickydoo