Seeking As a PC gamer what you prefer RPGM or Renply?

Sep 15, 2020
Usually Mobile gamer's prefer Renply, as it is quite difficult to play rpgm games on mobile. I have seen several people hating rpgm due to it's grinding part and you kind of end up spending more time on managing things instead of fapping. I like rpgm, as you can straight away use rpgm editor and ignore all grinding part. What are your thoughts on it?

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
Renpy no question. I hate walking around in 2D pixel enviroment. I don't know if you can make a pure visual novel with RPGMaker but all the RPGM games I tried here have that stuff. I'm fine with open world and more gameplay just not 2D pixelated enviroment.

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
Ren'Py for Visual Novels. RPGM for Turn-Based Combat and also not a puzzle-based walking simulator, and both must at least have animated H-scenes.

Sep 15, 2020
Renpy no question. I hate walking around in 2D pixel enviroment. I don't know if you can make a pure visual novel with RPGMaker but all the RPGM games I tried here have that stuff. I'm fine with open world and more gameplay just not 2D pixelated enviroment.
What about Lust Epidemic or Treasure of Nadia? They doesn't have 2D pixel environment. If you have played Lily of Valley, i played that game on Renply first, it was kind of boring as i just kept of corrupting here more and more, however when i played the game in rpgm it was completely different experience.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Renpy; it's just so much easier to play.

I don't (for obvious reasons) hate Unity games, but Renpy just offers a lot more out of the box for anyone making VN's, and anyone making VN's on any other platform can learn a ton of stuff from working with RenPy.

Mar 24, 2021
Hey, i dont think this is the right place to ask this but before downloading, how to know the difference between the normal rpgm game and the other annoying rpgm games which messes with the resolution of all my other applications. Is that cuz of my pcs idk, would appreciate if someone can explain :)

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hey, i dont think this is the right place to ask this but before downloading, how to know the difference between the normal rpgm game and the other annoying rpgm games which messes with the resolution of all my other applications. Is that cuz of my pcs idk, would appreciate if someone can explain :)
I haven't known of any RPGM game to do this. Name some examples? Maybe it's some old version of RPGM not playing nicely anymore with modern OS.

Reactions: Curious BirdMan

Karminator

Dec 12, 2021
Android , i don't understand how the fuk can you ppl play clicking a million buttone for each picture. Joiplay can skip everything and has a speed up option.

When it comes to rpgm Android is the master race

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Pretentious Goblin The good game would be Claires Quest, great game. Cant think of any atm but warlock and boobs, has amazing art but had to alt f4 the game the moment it changed resolutions
I checked out Warlock and Boobs, and it didn't change the resolution on anything for me. It just opened a 800x600 window. Then I went fullscreen by pressing F5 and it wouldn't allow me to alt-tab to other applications, so that's not very nice. The fullscreen mode seems pretty janky, so if you're using that, try playing in windowed mode, as tiny as it is. As I suspected, it's an older version of RPGM while Claire's Quest is on the newer RPGM MV.

Mar 24, 2021
Ahh, it makes sense. so Claire is RPGM MV, is there a way to know that before downloading whether its the old version or the RPGM MV ? The new one is peaceful to alt tab if I get stuck ingame etc. Anyways thank you so much for taking your time and explaining it. Sorry for making you download that old version RPG game and made your pc suffer XD Pretentious Goblin

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Ahh, it makes sense. so Claire is RPGM MV, is there a way to know that before downloading whether its the old version or the RPGM MV ?
Often, it'll say so in the description in the OP (e.g. Claire's Quest). Very few newer games use such old versions of RPGM anymore, since MV is pretty cheap to get now and better. But one way to tell for sure before downloading is from looking at any save files - if you go to the attached save for Warlock and Boobs, you can see it has a .rvdata2 format. That's for RPGM VX Ace and maybe older. RPGM MV saves end in .rpgsave and RPGM MZ (most recent version of RPGM) saves end in .rmmzsave.

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
Depends on the story that is being told.
I like RPG Maker for the sake of interactivity and because it feels like an actual game with combat, exploration and such. I like them and they inspire me as much as any VN does.

Renpy is a bit more complex, but for self inserting, is a bit better.

I can enjoy both.

S3vatari0n

May 9, 2020
For these options, I prefer RPGM because I like to feel like I'm actually playing in a world when I play games, even ero games. The thing about Ren'py is that it's great for VN games and okay at point n' click games, types of game that are an extremely hard sell for me. I'm also not a huge fan of the most common stories or art styles that appear on ren'py offerings here.

Reactions: Gummiel