Aspiring writer open to working with others.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Skills:
Atm, mostly just writing. See below for more info.

Preferred method of contact:
PM here for now, I can set up discord later if necessary.

Employment Type & Rates:
Mostly I'd just be interested in some type of rev share. I'm certainly not insisting on anything upfront, but if anything achieved a decent level of success, I'd like to not be working for free.

Availability:
I'm surprisingly flexible. In more ways than one.

Additional comments:

Ok so. When I post on forums I tend to write like I'm speaking, which is... nothing like how I write when I write. AKA my writing on forums and whatnot is often atrocious so try not to read too much into it. - Here's where I'll provide actual info.

I'm currently teaching myself pretty much everything. Just started learning renpy (I have a programming background, so I'm also working on re-learning python), but I'm nowhere near at the point where I can actually do anything myself yet. I'll get there, just not yet. I'm also working on trying to learn stuff like Daz3d, but again I just started working with it, so it'll be a while before I'm competent enough to manage it.

All that said, ideas, stories, and that sort of creation is where I excel. I already have a number of ideas floating in my head (some I've been mulling over for years, some only a few weeks old, I tend to come up with stuff pretty frequently). I also have one I just started putting down on paper. While the entire thing is pretty much fully formed in my head, I've been thus far writing it as if it's a solo project, so what I have written down is sort of "5th grade cliff notes/outline" quality. (Enough for me to reference and know exactly what I'm talking about, with some minor detail, but that's about it). That particular idea is very much "VN" style work, I even started to structure it with a VN in mind. I wouldn't mind sharing what I have right now with anyone seriously interested, but as I said at the moment, transcribing things from my head to paper is a definite WIP.

I also have a bunch of ideas that aren't anywhere except my head at the moment, some of which wouldn't fit into a VN style, some of which are completely SFW.

As far as any samples go, I haven't had anything published in like 20 years (and even that stuff was just short stories that were published as part of compilations, Idk if I'd even be able to find that anymore), but dialogue is where I'm best at anyway. If you really wanted to see what sort of stuff I can come up with feel free to hit me with a prompt and I'll come up with something from it. Alternatively I could work on a bit of scene dialogue from the idea that I've already started working on.

Basically what my wall of text here is saying is that, I've just begun the process of trying to learn how to put together an entire game myself, and some day I'd like to be at the point where I'm comfortable doing that entirely on my own, but I'm also not opposed to working with ppl, so if you happen to be an experienced coder or artist, or team, and just really struggle with any good ideas or actually writing, hit me up and we can talk.

Small note - I tend to shy away from the overtly fetishized stuff, most of my work tends to be much more "vanilla" in nature, mostly because my focus in any sort of storytelling is on the story, and the characters. Because I prefer games with strong characters, characterization, and writing, I prefer working on stuff like that. I'm certainly not hating on anything else, I just think people should do what they enjoy, and since I personally don't enjoy a lot of that stuff I try to stay away from it.

sample of my writing:

That link above, contains a "finished" (I use the term loosely) version of the prologue for the project I'm working on myself. It has no renders whatsoever, I only put it together for feedback on the story and writing, and on the actual coding I used. But it also works well as a sample of my writing style.

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
Suggestion. Get involved in proofreading, play a bunch of the games here to find what you like (and don't like), reach out to the Devs and build a rapport.

It has always been my experience that the fastest way to make friends or get a job is to make oneself useful. Find a way to become useful. Right now, don't worry about money at all (if you can afford it). Payment will come when you're a useful guy doing useful things with people who make money.

I noticed today on one of my favorite games which recently updated, the Dev gave love to a bunch of people from here who played the game and sent him corrections in the text. I do translation for a game. It has taught me a lot. Be useful. There are guys who only do art who want someone who can write to work with but you have to establish yourself from the other hundreds (and hundreds) of guys here who want to write games/VNs. Be someone cool, reliable, sharp, and with a clear vision.

Stay focused on telling stories that excite you and continue to sharpen your craft.

Good luck.

Also, question marks indicate uncertainty. If you want to do something, be unequivoical. The worst thing that can happen is someone says no. And then you move on with your life.

"Aspiring writer looking to collaborate with others."
"I will be a second set of eyes, someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to help you come up with an ending or plot thread if you are stuck. I will help you tighten up your grammar and catch mistakes before you release".

Reactions: Mando Logica

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
While I appreciate the advice, the truth is, the question mark is because I'm sorta ambivalent about the whole thing. I'm not actively trying to collaborate with people, I'm just not opposed to it either. In other words, if there's ppl who I could end up working well with, there's no reason not to, but the "dream" is to be able to handle it all as a solo project, which is what I'm slowly working towards. In the meantime, because it'll be a while before I get to that point, if I can work with others well, there's no reason not to, and maybe if lucky, we could create something really great and then go from there. But I'm also not on the whole "this is the dream" road either, so, ambivilent.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Small Update:

I've recieved a few messages from people, and I appreciate the interest.

I've just finished writing (most) of the prologue for my own project. If you're interested in hiring, or teaming up with a writer, or just need a proofreader or someone to go over all your work, hit me up with a message or leave your discord tag here, and I can send you a copy. This way you can see if the way I write is even close to what you're looking for. Plus as a more selfish bonus, you can let me know if there's anything you particularly like or dislike about what I've put together so far.

(See what I did there? You get the chance to evaluate someone you might want to work with, I get a chance for constructive criticism. Win-win!). Just promise if you like my work, you won't try to steal it :(

Ryanu

Jul 1, 2021
Small Update:

I've recieved a few messages from people, and I appreciate the interest.

I've just finished writing (most) of the prologue for my own project. If you're interested in hiring, or teaming up with a writer, or just need a proofreader or someone to go over all your work, hit me up with a message or leave your discord tag here, and I can send you a copy. This way you can see if the way I write is even close to what you're looking for. Plus as a more selfish bonus, you can let me know if there's anything you particularly like or dislike about what I've put together so far.

(See what I did there? You get the chance to evaluate someone you might want to work with, I get a chance for constructive criticism. Win-win!). Just promise if you like my work, you won't try to steal it :(
You can send it my way and I will take a look.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Rather than give people copies individually when they contact me, I just added a mega link to the OP. It's technically a working "game", with 0 renders (still working on that), that I only built for feedback on the code and the story/writing, but since it serves as a decent writing sample as well, I'll leave it here.

Lustromancer

Game Developer
Feb 6, 2017
Rather than give people copies individually when they contact me, I just added a mega link to the OP. It's technically a working "game", with 0 renders (still working on that), that I only built for feedback on the code and the story/writing, but since it serves as a decent writing sample as well, I'll leave it here.
Hi. Have you seen my PM?