• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Asset piracy and itch/steam?

tsuki3341

Mar 31, 2022
Hi guys, sorry if dumb question but … I understand that if I use say HS2/KK it would be “illegal” as in “they can tell”. I also get that if I used Daz interactively it might be a problem.

But what if I just make renders with assets I downloaded instead of purchasing? Is there any risk?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
it depend on where you live go use google and search for copyrights laws in your country and International copyright laws to see what you can or can't do and think which one applies to you the most

tsuki3341

Mar 31, 2022
it depend on where you live go use google and search for copyrights laws in your country and International copyright laws to see what you can or can't do and think which one applies to you the most
I mean copyright law is one thing, I’m asking more like … does daz output some info into the render that identifies you? Or that shows if who purchased the asset or not.

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
I mean copyright law is one thing, I’m asking more like … does daz output some info into the render that identifies you? Or that shows if who purchased the asset or not.
To my knowledge, there is no such metadata contained within render images that could identity which assets are used. The Daz ToS states that anything you want to do with rendered images is fair game, including monetization, presuming you have purchased the assets in the first place. If you were to put a paid game on Steam using assets that you did not purchase, it is possible that an asset creator could play your game, notice their assets are being used, and reach out for verification, and if you could not provide verification, it's possible they could request your game get pulled from the store. However, that's very unlikely, because asset creators are probably not browsing the store and playing random adult VN games to check for their own assets, unless they are very petty. I personally have never heard of such a thing occurring.

tl;dr Don't go around yelling about how you did not obtain assets legitimately for your game and you should be ok.