Assistance with Post production 3D images

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure if this is in the right sub-forum. (Please direct me to a correct location if I'm wrong)

So I'm busy re-writing a Unity game into Renpy. (No tools, just a brute force re-write.)
https://f95zone.to/threads/the-king-is-back-unofficial-renpy-conversion-ch-4-alfius.52719/
The original dev is very busy with his new game and possible lost his original source etc. for this game (If I read between the lines.)

I do fix up some of his images where I can in MS-Paint etc. where there is obvious issues with the render. It's normally small things, like skin showing through clothes etc.
This does not bother me too much. but there is three images that is just very bad for me in my latest release that I need some assistance with. (Badly rendered shadows)
If I set my Monitor setting to very bright, I can actually make out the images well enough, but under default brightness, it just looks like black blobs..

I have no photoshop skills or post production skills. I'm just doing this project of as a fan of his work.

Can someone maybe assist me with this. Or give me some pointer.

Please find the images in question
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
MS paint is not your friend. I'd recommend Photoshop if you can, but a free alternative is GIMP.

The poke-through problem; your best Post-processing tool is the 'heal' brush.

For adjusting lighting and making stuff pop, look at Curves and Levels (two ways of adjusting the same kind of thing)

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
MS paint is not your friend. I'd recommend Photoshop if you can, but a free alternative is GIMP.

The poke-through problem; your best Post-processing tool is the 'heal' brush.

For adjusting lighting and making stuff pop, look at Curves and Levels (two ways of adjusting the same kind of thing)

Thanks, these were very helpful indeed.

Quick question on gimp. Is there a way to save all the adjustments you made to your image.
My rationale is that I want to apply the same actions corrections etc. to a list of selected imgages so that the outcome of all of them looks similar after my adjustments.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks, these were very helpful indeed.

Quick question on gimp. Is there a way to save all the adjustments you made to your image.
My rationale is that I want to apply the same actions corrections etc. to a list of selected imgages so that the outcome of all of them looks similar after my adjustments.
I'm not a GIMP user (I use photoshop). There are, however, extensive automation tools available:

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
I'm not a GIMP user (I use photoshop). There are, however, extensive automation tools available:
Thanks for all your help. Automation in Gimp seems to be extremely complicated.

I managed to improve my images by just opening all 3 at once an then applying similar colour adjustment on the shadow part of the image.

Results were....something, I guess, but at least one can see what is happening in the shadow instead of black blobs.
Not perfect, but something at least.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for all your help. Automation in Gimp seems to be extremely complicated.

I managed to improve my images by just opening all 3 at once an then applying similar colour adjustment on the shadow part of the image.

Results were....something, I guess, but at least one can see what is happening in the shadow instead of black blobs.
Not perfect, but something at least.
Hahahahaha!!! Wow, you weren't kidding when you said there was a dark shadow!!

one tiny suggestion: real shadows are never that sharp edged (unless you are in a vacuum in space, a long was from a point light source), so doing a gradient overlay to blur along the shadow edge would make it look a bit better.

regardless, I salute your efforts! :alien:

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Hahahahaha!!! Wow, you weren't kidding when you said there was a dark shadow!!

one tiny suggestion: real shadows are never that sharp edged (unless you are in a vacuum in space, a long was from a point light source), so doing a gradient overlay to blur along the shadow edge would make it look a bit better.

regardless, I salute your efforts! :alien:
Thanks. I'm really just a beginner/noob when it comes to post production (And rendering for that matter). My only experience is in fixing small issues in MS Paint. So what you are talking about is way above my ability level. :D

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm sure it will be helpful once I skill up my post production skills. :)