At what point should I start being concerned about temps while rendering in Daz?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I can't seem to find anything that relates to a modern GPU here or on google/Daz forums. So just to be clear, I'm running a ASUS TUF 3080 with a Intel 10700. Have 6 Corsair QL 120 fans with an H100i working as exhaust inside of a Deepcool Matrexx 55. Under idle, the GPU sits anywhere between 34-40 depending on what I'm doing (not enough to ramp up the fans usually), and under load I'm seeing temperatures in the mid-70's in Celsius (76 being the highest I've seen so far). I'm fairly sure that's normal from the GPU side of things, but the CPU seems to sit roughly in the high 60's or low 70's while rendering despite it being unchecked for rendering.

In the winter, my GPU was hitting 69 degrees under load. My CPU was a bit lower as well. Let's just say I'm in a hotter part of the western US currently, so I'm sure that the Summer weather/warmer ambient temps has a bit to do with it. I'm also thinking that the heat radiating off of the GPU might be causing the CPU temps to rise as well, not sure if that's a thing, though. Could it be a lack of ventilation/fresh air due to the case?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
76° seems pretty fair tbh.
But I got your concern, got some bad heat wave (~40/45°), seen number reach 80/82° o_O (what path tracer you use don't really mind). Generally I put a stop on the card around 75°.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm also thinking that the heat radiating off of the GPU might be causing the CPU temps to rise as well
Fairly sure it is, but better ask an hardware nerd :WeSmart:

Reactions: MissFortune

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Let's just say I'm in a hotter part of the western US currently, so I'm sure that the Summer weather/warmer ambient temps has a bit to do with it.
More than a bit. The temperature is regulated by the air flow going on the case ; the hotter is this air, the less it will be refreshing.

I'm also thinking that the heat radiating off of the GPU might be causing the CPU temps to rise as well, not sure if that's a thing, though.
It depend of the air flow in the case, but normally if the case if well designed, and if there's enough fans, the impact is really small. After looking at the case you use, the flow seem good and the number of fans feel correct, therefore the impact for the CPU should be really limited.

Could it be a lack of ventilation/fresh air due to the case?
It's the lack of fresh air. What chase away the heat irradiated by the CPU/GPU isn't just the air flow, it's also the thermal exchange, and obviously the hotter is the air, the less there's thermal exchange.
If really you're concerned by the heat, look for a water cooling solution. It's not too difficult to apply (well a little more for the GPU, but not this much "more"), and it can significantly lower the temperature.
But first, perhaps that a good old cleaning session could be a good idea. Whatever how clean is your house, dusk accumulate on the fan filters and the CPU/GPU radiators. The first lower the air flow, the second lower the heat dissipation, what lead to an increase of the temperature. Personally I do it every 6 months and it generally lower the temperature by around 5°C.