• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py - Ataegina [v0.9.9] [Kthulian]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Pitrik

This game is very interesting and has a lot of potentials. An interesting and well-written story with many other games references that I like ( Skyrim for example, one of my favorite games ever). I’m glad and grateful there’s no grinding for stats and money, no unnecessary free-roaming/sandbox, no repetitive scenes. Thanks!
    Writing is good, It's understandable and simple, well done!
  2. 5.00 star(s)

jdorian227

To be honest we need more games like this. It offers a way to ake the character feel like your own with skills and kama without the tedious grinding othere games have. I cant wate to see how it plays when it's finished.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

kingtut1234567

Very good game and interesting concepts. Hope the creator continues in this manner. though confined to a renpy format, this game expands on it to give the player greater choice. Sure enough, one may enter the game for *cough* obvious reasons. but as you delve into it, you find that the game carries more and provides an actual story with cool characters and the like.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

claus001

I assumed this would be another pervy fantasy adventure but oh boy how wrong I was - this is a novel.

If you are those people who like fantasy adventures this is pretty much the best game you can have. The graphics are not the best but the plot and characters are.

Note that this game is beta(?) and I played 0.36 version and it was very entertaining. I can foresee creator adding much more material and quests in future patches, hell you can easily even double the content and game would still be interesting.

I deeply recommend this game to everyone. Definitely 5 out 5.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

longjohngold

This was super promising I'll really look forward to the full release.

I enjoyed the world and the characters, I liked that you could corrupt characters and also choose a light/dark path for yourself ... hopefully the magic system will be a bit more fleshed out (I beat everything just by casting armoured skeleton over and over again) - or if it's not there's not much need for the battles could they just have them play out automatically in different ways based on which magic schools you've gone for.

But yeah I loved the world, want more, the only real downside is it ends before we really get stuck into any good stuff.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Emielregisrohellec

One of my top five favourite games on this site. Interesting and sometimes funny story and characters. You can be a good guy, bad guy or take neutral path which must be very time consuming for the developer. Beautiful females. Although I am still waiting for the fun with the elven princess :) Good battle system. I always look forward for the next update. I guess that honest rating would be 4.5 stars because it never blows my mind (like two other games which I according to the review rules cannot mention) but because of the fantasy theme I give 5 stars :) I hope that developer keeps up a good work so far he trully deserves a support.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

UselessSphinx

I just started with this one on the newest update. The renders and story are crisp, and clean. I didn't encounter any bugs, but came across a couple of typos. Nothing major, or story impacting. I played both routes, because why not? Great story and character development. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Keep up the great work
  8. 5.00 star(s)

TessSadist

This game should get more love, it's really great and it tries to actually have three real story paths! I think I love games with some real divergence in choice and this one delivers so far!

I am really looking forward to seeing more updates from this developer!
  9. 4.00 star(s)

InnocentKiss5

I loved it but the game ending was way sudden after meet lust then in elf turf then meet the archmage in the throne room i belive then wala the credit scene showed up! which disappointed me big time and i really really did want to see more but now i gotta change up some stuff for now i'll start out fresh then see if i can change that if not oh well thats that and bye bye
  10. 5.00 star(s)

needhelpplease

This is the first game I ever felt inspired to review because this is easily one of the best unfinished adult games on this website. It has quality graphics, music and sound effects, a combat system, and multiple routes based on moral alignment. That being said, it is still quite clearly unfinished as of version 0.3.6. Like someone else said on their review, it feels like there should be more early and midgame content. The plot seems to rush by quite quickly without it. Some suggestions:

1. There could be scattered books across the island (and possibly even abroad) to collect and donate to the library for money and relationship points as hinted by the librarian.
    2. There could be an exp system for leveling up skills and place to grinds for exp fighting frost spiders (maybe through the secret route to the mountain), skeletons (random encounter in the graveyard or elsewhere?), various summons (through our mage mentors?), demons/imps (through demon hunter training?), or anything else. I like how the current system doesn’t require extra grinding to progress through the plot, but I’m sure there will be people that want to grind just to have more magical options available to them anyways.
    3. There could be other repeatable content with the various characters around the college or anywhere else to build up relationship points or corruption points.
    4. There could be a way for us to finish the earlier quest with the lumberjack BEFORE being thrown into the next stage of the game after the battle with the giant demon.
    5. Less important but maybe we could have harder battles (it seems like spamming level 5 attacks will win every time?) and do something that rewards necromancy over other skills? As it stands, there is no objective reason given by the game’s combat system to believe that the evil route grants more power, so it is somewhat harder to believe in the plot rationale for various mages being tempted down this route.

Items 1-3 would all allow people to pace themselves. Items 4 and 5 are more bonus and might add less value in terms of pacing, but I would find it very satisfying. All in all though, I loved this game and will eagerly look forward to updates.

This has been edited to elaborate on my review and to include version number.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Obiwanker

Honestly, it has a unique story and battling system adds more flavour in it. Its a huge plus that choises you make actually matters in the game. İnteresting characters and half open world. I think if it given more freeroam encounters , it would be better.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

oysterkeeper

This game is very interesting and has a lot of potential. Right now it feels like there is a lot of content but after 2 playthroughs I ended up realizing it is kind of the opposite. I'm sure that will change in time but right now the pacing feels off. You are always going to do something and the only downtime is when Mida shows up pretty much.

Besides the pacing, the game is very interesting but if no work is done on the earlier content the game will have a rough start in my opinion. I think there needs to be more build up before they toss you in the deep end on a bunch of crazy missions. The evil playthrough also seemed even more barebones which is unfortunate.

Anyways, even in spite of these major issues I really enjoyed the game and hope to see it grow into something great.

Bare in mind I really like the game and my criticism is hopefully taken lightly and in a good way.
  13. 4.00 star(s)

Brady2626

Really good 9/10 wold recommend. it has a bit of content for everyone with 3 quite separate (yet connected at key points) but imo equally good stories. This game doesnt force you to grind, and is just an over all entertaining game.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Shuchetan

A very well made and structured VN. I really like the renders however, you should havve made the models a bit unique. These models have been used a lot and since you are still at the begining stage, remaking them would be a great idea in my opinion if you can obviously.

The fight scenes are great however a great idea would be to make the effects of the spell and attack show adding small amount of blood / burn and such. also like the confusion power should be able to make the opponent's eyes look confused.

The story is quite great but on the dark path, you hardly give any width to enjoy powers. You have stated mind control but MC is hardly able to use them on NPCs.

I know that it's the begining but I really like how this VN is turnign out to be. So far Great job.

P.S. Please take all my comments as positive feedback and not negative criticism. Looking forward to the next update.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Darkelleia

An interesting and well written story, the multiple endings choices are quite interessant, finally a game with different paths. The art is nice, the universe is classical but the story make it interesting. A really good game! Keep going!
  16. 5.00 star(s)

gibbnatomon

Looking positive, this one. Cliched story with decent world building. Looks like there are 3 major paths - good, neutral, and evil. I've played 2 and the content was very different. It's like playing the story from different perspectives. Hope the author releases content for all branches in parallel and not favor completion of one over the other.
    The side characters feel shallow and only a very few (like J'zargo) stand out.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

K18

As of v0.3.1 beta.
    As I said in the forum. I like that it’s a high fantasy/magical world setting and that’s it’s story driven. Personally, any visual novel that's not set in a high school/college or in a single house (with a 13 year old looking scrawny MC) with the slice-of-life theme is welcomed by me.
    For a fantasy visual novel game, I’m glad and grateful there’s no grinding for stats and money, no unnecessary free-roaming/sandbox, no repetitive scenes. Which for some reason other developers of fantasy visual novel games feel the need to have those in just because it’s a fantasy-setting and/or shoehorn those things later on midway into a narrative-driven visual novel (upsetting players and taking time away from developing the actual story).

The story is about a boy separated from his adoptive family after a town’s raid by Slayers and suffering from amnesia is saved by mages and becomes a mage student. 10 years later, he’s of the one promising mages with untapped abilities, is spent out on adventures by the higher ups. Follow as the boy/MC learns more about his past and true identity while in the of the war raging world of Slayers, humans, mythical creatures, and demons. With the boy choices being guided by the players (into Good, Neutral, Evil routes).

At first I was skeptical when Kthulian added the 3 routes Good, Neutral, Evil into the game. With the thoughts of excessive branching plots with route-exclusive characters, resulting in save-scumming replaying each route to see different characters in slightly scenes (like those games where you have multiple 100+ saves for specific girls to get their respective good endings). Instead of being one long linear story narrative with just different reaction from characters based on the player's previous choice (like “Star Wars: The Old Republic” or “Mass Effect” trilogy). So far, each route based on the alignment of the MC where he spends more time with certain characters, has given something different information to learn about what’s happening in the world. It’s still in the early stage with few of the many characters to tell what will definitely happen.

I have faith in Kthulian of what he creates, as Ataegina has endless possibilities (what I like about high fantasy stories) going on in the story and has an Interesting strong MC and other Interesting characters engaging with him. And he ultimately adds a true harem route with all the girls for everybody :whistle:. And take advantage of the fantasy and supernatural elements for the spicy scenes and action scenes.

A gallery to view previous scenes would be nice instead of using saves.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Muingo

Oof, that's a good one. [v.0.3.1]

I really like your game so far. This game has a lot of great ideas but you feel (besides its a beta and the story is not finished; what i wished it were btw) that its a work in progress.

Positive:
    The writing is great. The setting is placed somewhere between skyrim and its mage guild, fable and harry potters hogwarts. The characters are all very interesting. I like growing numbers as some kind of progress so your skill system is great as well.

Neutral:
    In my opinion there are things to work on. And Im pretty sure these things will happen.
    The freeroam feels kinda weird, because there isnt really much to find. you are not clicking through the stages to find something you "can" find and enjoy, you click through the stages and look for something you "must" find to go on. You can do that better. I liked for example the village a lot. It gave you htree interesting discussions: one of them pretty weird (ugh, old lady), one for immersing the place and one gives a hint what to do next. Freeroaming in the school, the most exiting place in the game, felt a bit boring to do.
    The fighting is a great and unique idea. The first few aggressive encounters felt weird, because every (working) spell went basically to the same result. when you introduced the fighting system it felt more rewarding to actually learnt magic schools to a certain level, but these fights were not challenging at all. Balancing can be a pain and i dont think a VN wants to create challenging fights. maybe you can think about telling more of a story. I want to create an example: I fight a vampire and im good at Illusion, so i spam confusion on him. In the current situation i win the fight unharmed, because the poor fella couldnt even hit me back. But what happened to him exactly, that i won the fight? did i break his mind? did he slit his throat? You got yourself a big burden on this one with your 8(?) magic schools when you either want to a) balance the game or b) make a story of each fight. I would like one of those, but im just a random guy on the internet.

Negative:
    Im not the guy that sits with his panties down while he plays, but i think the "romantic scenes" could use improvements. Longer the sexual dialog. it feels like the scenes are over with 4 clicks.

Dont get me wrong when the positive part was the shortest in my review. Im loving the game and every who reads this and hasnt played yet should. Im looking forward to the next update. :)

edit: added version number
  19. 5.00 star(s)

The_connoisseur

The Connoisseur rating for Ataegina [v0.3.1 beta]

"Remarkable!" - The Connoisseur

The story amazing, it manages to grab you in the beginning, then you are the one who is grabbing for more story, one of the best plots I've seen so far.

Writing is good, It's understandable and simple the way the game tells a story is really captivating, very good writer!

Ingame turn based combats?? What? I can't say I've seen something like this on Ren'py before, I've seen some attempts but nothing quite like this, I like it!

Graphics are good, the girls are very pretty and most of the game shows good to very good renders, I just found some quality differences in the initial parts of the game.

The overall game is nearly perfect, and the only reason it won't get a perfect 5 is because of some images that lack quality in the beginning of the game, maybe the Dev is changing them? I rate this with 4.7 stars
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Revan84

By far one of my favorite games on this site at the moment! Top notch renders and character models plus an engaging story that does not require any grinding at all. Also it's one of the few games that offers choices that actually impact your game experience rather than merely change a few lines of conversation.
    The game is updated very regularly and the dev is extremely active and approachable so that's another plus.
    So give the game a go, you'll not regret it for a second ;)