Autosaves deleting themselves and freezes

FapMan2018

Mar 16, 2024
Hello.
I have a problem with my autosaves. The game freeze for 1-2 seconds every time a choice appears, then an autosave (auto-1-LT1, then auto-2-LT1, etc) get automatically deleted in the saves folder. First it happened with Our red string, then with Ataegina, now i have the same issue on almost every of my renpy games. Does anyone knows the reason or had the same problem?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The game freeze for 1-2 seconds every time a choice appears, then an autosave (auto-1-LT1, then auto-2-LT1, etc) get automatically deleted in the saves folder.
Ren'Py cycle the save files, auto-1 will become auto-2, and so on, then once done it create the new auto-1 file. Therefore, what happen is that it fail to create the autosave file.
What is strange is that it looks like Ren'Py have the right to modify a file (since it can rename them), but not to write a file. It's an uncommon rights combination.
By default Ren'Py do not show the error if it can't write a save file, but it's possible to bypass this.
Use a text editor to create a new file named "savecheck.rpy", and write this inside:
Python:
define config.developer = True
Save the file, and put it in the game directory ("[path to game]/game/"), then start the game.

Some games will not like to be played in developer mode, if it's the case, just remove the file. But in the end you should find at least one that will not have issue playing that way, and if it's effectively an error while writing the autosave file, it will show you what is that error.

FapMan2018

Mar 16, 2024
Thank you, i followed your instructions and this is the error i get when i open the file:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
Before loading the script.
NotADirectoryError: [WinError 267] The directory name is invalid: 'D:\\Games\\Renpy Games\\Babysitter-0.2.2b.-win\\game\\savecheck.rpyc'

What should i do?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
NotADirectoryError: [WinError 267] The directory name is invalid: 'D:\\Games\\Renpy Games\\Babysitter-0.2.2b.-win\\game\\savecheck.rpyc'
Er... This is strange :/

I just tried with the game, and I don't get an error with the developer mode enabled. So, it's your installation that is the cause, but I don't understand why :/

The directory name is valid, I tried with the game located in the exact same place, and I had no error. Yet, for some reason Windows return that it's not a valid one.

FapMan2018

Mar 16, 2024
Er... This is strange :/

I just tried with the game, and I don't get an error with the developer mode enabled. So, it's your installation that is the cause, but I don't understand why :/

The directory name is valid, I tried with the game located in the exact same place, and I had no error. Yet, for some reason Windows return that it's not a valid one.
Here's the full traceback if it helps:
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 359, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 388, in main
renpy.loader.index_archives()
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\loader.py", line 257, in index_archives
for _dir, fn in listdirfiles():
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\loader.py", line 443, in listdirfiles
scandirfiles()
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\loader.py", line 343, in scandirfiles
i(add, seen)
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\loader.py", line 414, in scandirfiles_from_filesystem
for j in walkdir(i):
File "C:\Program Files\renpy-8.2.1-sdk\renpy\loader.py", line 270, in walkdir
for i in os.listdir(dir):

I also tried to play the game on a more recent but weaker laptop and the game and the saves works fine. Idem for Ataegina and Our red string. So i guess my PC is simply too old now. It's weird, i didn't had this problem a few months ago.

Anyway, thank you for your help.