Bad Dialogue vs Good Dialogue [advices]

Xantoser

Apr 28, 2020
I just found very interesting video I think every aspiring writer should watch.

Bad Dialogue vs Good Dialogue

My favorite fragment (one of bad dialogs feature):
1683393306426.png

Yes, we all know it very well. Female characters constantly falling in love with MC without a reason

Reactions: Lilith_djins

Lilith_djins

May 6, 2023
That is a good point :) a lot of games on here are very lame, when it comes to dialogues. (sorry for my spelling, english is not my first language):)

Reactions: Xantoser

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
Interesting video. The writing for games on here isn't great, but it is exactly where I'd expect it to be for writers of their experience level.

Yes, we all know it very well. Female characters constantly falling in love with MC without a reason
On this point though I don't think that's what he's talking about exactly. You're talking about sudden romantic interest, which can be bad writing, but doesn't always go hand in hand with bad dialogue. McNulty is talking about dialogue that jumps in at 100 without any work-up or context for the viewer/reader. These same kinds of lines would be alight if/when there's a build-up.

Reactions: Xantoser

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hmm, should I need to tell you that it's absolutely not what, "emotions that is not earned", mean in this context ?

He was more surely referring to the emotions carried by the dialog line, that aren't earned in regard to what was previously said. Something like:
mc "By the way, you look good in this dress."
girl "Oh my god ! Really ? It... it's so marvelous. [turn to her friend] You heard him ? He said that I look good, this will totally make my day and... Oh my god, I think I need to change my panties."
the friend "Hey you, how do you talk to my friend ? You'll immediately stop harassing her, you fucking predator !"

Both girls are totally out of topic with their reaction, one nearly falling in love, while the other starts to act crazy, both for what is a common compliment and can perfectly be nothing more than a social lie.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
The best advice I've ever gotten about writing dialogue is to just say it out loud. Fake a conversation with yourself if you have to. Hearing dialogue will let you know right off the bat if it's assy.