Unity - Bare Backstreets [v0.7.4] [Jasonafex]

1. 1.00 star(s)

Monk0028

Here is a slight review and comparative to this "New" Version and the old game. Might sound like a rant, but bear with me.

So, where to start? I don't think stating the obvious out right would be a good place to start. I think a few reviews have already done that and for good reason. This "GAME" is a buggy mess in it's current state.

My experience? I played an older version of this one, it was poorly optimized, I don't have a terrible PC but it's far from great. I would normally get around 10-20 FPS at better times. The bugs were still in the old one, and no not the actual good ones trying to attack you and stuff either. The ones that make the game unplayable, make it unbearable to even have taking up space on your PC. Don't get me wrong, it's a good concept, but... everything else is just... NO! It's horrid.

There was a game under this same name, however that's neither here nor there. It's totally different and much worse. Why they couldn't just continue that game and it's development beats me. It was honestly the better feeling out of the two, this one being just... I think you get the idea.

Now... onto the actual Bugs here. What can you expect besides bad optimization? I actually died on a slope in the new Level (Autumn I think?) and that is where it started to get horrible. The quick action bubble that appears over you when you get knocked back? Grappled by a Mob? Yeah, well if you were playing long enough then they were basically broken to the point they just won't show a valid point to actually escape. Mobs almost instantly climaxed at this point, no fun or pleasure to play. And personally (I have no idea if anyone else had this happen) at one point, I had the screen violently shake up and down for no reason at all while I was down! It only got progressively worse and actually gave me a headache. There was even a time I was able to walk around when I was supposed to be dead and then, randomly drop. I literally had no patience for this game and actually rage quit it.

TL;DR Version
    Game is a broken buggy mess.
    -Poorly optimized
    -Broken downed states, allowing movement after you SHOULD be down.
    -Screen shakes badly when dead on a slope. Gave me (Personally) a head ache.
    -Buggy AI
    -Downgrade from the Original Game.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

Inhalethemeth

Basically a dead thread. All that comes around are empty messages like OI WHERE FIX AT DIS THINGY WON'T WORK. Oh yeah, the game crashes 5 secs in. If you are lucky, it crashes 6 seconds in. Probably a decent project, but it doesn't work. :(
  3. 1.00 star(s)

Rain01

Have to agree with the other guy, this is so badly optimized that it's genuinely almost impossible to play. The sprites and models look good, but as is it'd be better as an animation instead of a game. Tbh can't actually say that'd be better as even the main menu page animation lags ridiculously, playing like 3 frames of movement before stopping for like 3-4 seconds. I can't recommend this at all in its current state.
  4. 1.00 star(s)

theunknownthird

Preface note: I was gonna give this another go to write an appropriate review as I had tried this out as an old public build, but I can't get this horrid piece of software to work.

This is an example of how not to do a remake, textbook. The original game was clearly unfinished and unpolished (and unbalanced) but it was a nice foundation over which a game could have been made, eventually.
    This game simply feels wrong. From the moment you start it up you are greeted with a very glitchy looking main menu, like old TV static. To this day I'm not sure if this is deliberate or my PC doesn't like this game. Then you can navigate your way through a very fiddly and finicky menu, with icons with glitchy tooltips and shoddy mouse detection (how do you fuck up the hitbox for a button?)
    If you are lucky like me, your game will simply crash after a second of booting up every time. A small pop-up with a loading screen and an icon from the game will show up, load something for a second, and then it'll crash.

((The rest of this review I'll write based on what I remember from the old public demo I played.))

Now, what is the most important aspect of a platformer? Tight, responsive controls. This game has the exact opposite of those. They feel clunky, laggy, slippery and overall not satisfying. Some enemies are difficult to attack, there's a lack of explanations on mechanics or even basic prompts to do things, the items go unexplained and even your objective is unclear!
    Lastly, the h-content. It's yet again that failure of a system where you are rewarded for losing. Take damage, get stunned, get fucked. If you play well (well, go become a professional e-sports player if you do) then you could technically go the whole game without finding out this is supposed to be an adult game. The animations themselves are good, if a bit simplistic. I can't say anything about the female player character's moveset or animations because she wasn't available back in the day, but I don't expect anything besides vanilla situations.

TL;DR: I'm gonna end this in a CYOA style, pick one:
    1. Look up the previous iteration and play that, enjoy your 20 minutes.
    2. Put on your favourite ear licking ASMR video and go play a good platformer.
    3. Download this one and use it to practise to become a professional Overwatch player.