Battle systems in renpy?

May 31, 2018
I’m engine shopping and trying to figure out what I want to use.

Is a battle system in remote possible? I wanted something along the lines of what you see in the older JSK games. I feel like that would be really complicated, so even a simple turn based could suffice, although I would prefer the former.

Mia ther any info for stuff like this out there anyone could direct me to?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Is a battle system in remote possible?
Possible, yes.
Already done, well... generally adult games authors aren't coders, so you'll not find much in the games available here. There's Sakura Dungeon, by example, but it's almost the only one you can found that don't look too amateurish. On the side of none adult games, there's also Planet Stronghold that use one, among few games.
But globally, Ren'py is advertised as engine for visual novels, therefore few indie studios tried to implement a battle system on it.

There's an old RPG maker-like engine available , but it's a really old thing, and its code need to be refactored to works with recent version of Ren'py. This said, I'm sure that if you ask to google, you'll find some answers.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Use unity (or .. anything else). This is the opposite of the thing scripted languages like python are good at. Even something like vbasic would be better but id suggest unity

Reactions: hiya02

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I’m engine shopping and trying to figure out what I want to use.

Is a battle system in remote possible? I wanted something along the lines of what you see in the older JSK games. I feel like that would be really complicated, so even a simple turn based could suffice, although I would prefer the former.

I also like the JSK games and did a small test project like that a while back, I never finished it, since I only wanted to see if it possible, and yes it's possible and not even that hard in renpy (anne O'nymous even helped me with that by answering some of my questions ;) ).
You can even find some simple premade battle systems on the official renpy forums.

Use unity (or .. anything else). This is the opposite of the thing scripted languages like python are good at. Even something like vbasic would be better but id suggest unity
For a "real" battle system yes, I agree, but the old JSK games are really simple, they basically just use a point & click battle system with a few timer and simple stats, so I'd guess renpy would be the better choice in this case.

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
It is, if you dont want super complex, you can take a look at Damsels and Dungeons by Amaraine.

The combat system to me wassuper fun, and you still get all the benefits from being a Ren'py game versus a crappy as hell Unity one with its crappy near impossible to "compress" and no console-command ass....

May 31, 2018
I also like the JSK games and did a small test project like that a while back, I never finished it, since I only wanted to see if it possible, and yes it's possible and not even that hard in renpy (anne O'nymous even helped me with that by answering some of my questions ;) ).
You can even find some simple premade battle systems on the official renpy forums.

For a "real" battle system yes, I agree, but the old JSK games are really simple, they basically just use a point & click battle system with a few timer and simple stats, so I'd guess renpy would be the better choice in this case.
Sweet, thanks!

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
One thing to be cautious of when introducing a combat system is how intuitive it is to the player and if it contributes to the game. A bad usage of combat is introducing it just to do it. A lot of RPGMs put combat to 'flavor' the otherwise linear gameplay of walking around doing things but the combat itself is -very- insignificant and has no depth. Don't do that.

This is a very hard question, and hard design to overcome because of the nature of adult games. If your game isn't centered around combat and progression through combat then just don't add it, period. The only reason combat belongs in an adult game is It directly correlates to the core design and progression. Don't just add it to add it.

On the topic of adding it. This highly depends on your skill set, willingness to learn and seek out information, and what engine fits the rest of your game. Contrary to what people say on this forum, just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it's not doable. Renpy using python which is a very strong language in of itself. You can extend renpy in many ways to implement creative features like this. If you wanna use something more from the ground up, look into unity, love2d, godot, etc. These will require you to do a lot of legwork, but will give you more creative freedom. These three examples require a good amount of programming experience. Lastly you have RPGM which ships with a turn based combat system, but you can also create non turn based combat inside this engine too.

May 31, 2018
As mentioned earlier, I’m inspired by JSK’s games, where you do one on one battle with a character, and when you win you get to have your way with that character. I’m not a big coder though, so I’d have to do a lot of research to figure out how to implement it.

mom just trying to figure out what to do gameplay wise so my game is... actually a game. I don’t want it tojust be a visual novel, and I don’t think I have the coding chops to make something like Imperial Gatekeeper. With what I can do, a trainer would probably be the best, although the gameplay on those is generally lacking.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
As mentioned earlier, I’m inspired by JSK’s games, where you do one on one battle with a character, and when you win you get to have your way with that character. I’m not a big coder though, so I’d have to do a lot of research to figure out how to implement it.

mom just trying to figure out what to do gameplay wise so my game is... actually a game. I don’t want it tojust be a visual novel, and I don’t think I have the coding chops to make something like Imperial Gatekeeper. With what I can do, a trainer would probably be the best, although the gameplay on those is generally lacking.
Question, do you have any experience programming? Like at all? I don't mean this to sound degrading, I'm just curious and could help you depending on where you're at.

May 31, 2018
Absolutely 0 programming experience. I’m mostly an animation person, with passable art. I just get touchy about others using my art, so I thought making my own game would be best.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Okay, and that's perfectly fine. Everybody starts somewhere. I can tell you to downsize the scope of your first game but I don't believe in that advice because if it's a hobby then regardless of the size as long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters.

I'd suggest either renpy or rpgmaker. Both include a little bit of programming knowledge, however, but are very distinguishable and provide two very different end products. If your game is gonna have anything to do with free range movement, tilemaps, grid systems, combat, or other RPG aspects. I recommend RPG Maker. If your game is more of an abstract 'story' then a RPG with mechanics, go RPG Maker.

Learning a language is not an easy task and can be very demotivating if you have a project in mind. Hell, a lot of people proficient in languages already still struggle to follow through to the end with development. Tack on learning the language, and you have quite the task. Stick with what you know, solidify your goals, and stay focused! kinderalpha#6818 on discord if you have wanna ask me anything!