Others Java Become a developer / roadmap for a beginner ??

Nappi

Aug 5, 2021
Hello,

First of all sorry for my spelling mistakes I don't have a high level of English ;x (I'm French)

In full professional reconversion (current salesman tcg) Wishing to launch me in the dev I registered in different formation for the september (back to school why not have 24yo) and I wait for answer, however that would not be lie to say that this site and several of the proposed games I think of Being a dick (which really tromatisé me so much it is incredibly well realized) but also of other reference such as AWAM, Project Myriam BrokenDreamers or Delivrance (without any doubt my favorite games for the moment with BAD at the top so much it marked me, it's simple the last game to have also marked me its tw3 and that begins to date) (I'm far from having made the tour of the site but I began by the big title) which seriously wanted me to become developer

In order to start from now on in autodidact I wanted to know which language (code) to study in priority, what do you advise me to learn in first ect

I know that the road will be long before I'm ready to make a real game, but I really want to use my current free time in this learning rather than consuming it in various online games/mmo

I'm not necessarily asking for assistance just a sort of roadmap of where to start not only because I want to get a head start on my future training but also because I am excited

Hopefully my request is in the right place

Last edited:

AzureSheep

Nov 5, 2017
I wanted to know which language (code) to study in priority
Python as Renpy is currently the easiest engine to start off with.

You're also going to want to figure out what tool you want to generate the art from. DAZ3D and Illusion game type studios (Honey Select 2, etc) are probably the easiest to bounce into. Unless you know how to draw.

Best of luck ;)

Reactions: ddf044 and Nappi

Nappi

Aug 5, 2021
Python as Renpy is currently the easiest engine to start off with.

You're also going to want to figure out what tool you want to generate the art from. DAZ3D and Illusion game type studios (Honey Select 2, etc) are probably the easiest to bounce into. Unless you know how to draw.

Best of luck ;)
Thank you very much for this precise information, I'm really looking forward to start my learning as soon as possible, I'll start to check tomorrow an online training on python

If you have any other advice don't hesitate! I'm all for it

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
When asking a forum where the majority of people use Ren'py and Daz, the answers are going to be heavily biased towards those two specifically. Because that's what most people here know and use. That doesn't mean that it's the best for you. The tool you use depend on what you want to make and what you'll be comfortable and willing to work with. (There are people here that'd gladly recommend some HTML-based engine because it works for them, but that'd be a terrible idea if you asked me.)

Your first step should be to think about what you want to make and then choose a tool (it really doesn't matter which) that you think would be best suitable for it. I would google different tools and try to find good sources for advice and tutorials (in your case, preferably in French). Having access to a good source of information early on is really helpful.

Also, I've seen threads where people ask this question and get a long laundry list of things you need to learn before they can make a game, and I disagree with that approach. If you want to learn, all you need to do is start, presumably by downloading the prerequisite tools and playing around with them. No one knows anything when they start. You will learn along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nappi

Nappi

Aug 5, 2021
When asking a forum where the majority of people use Ren'py and Daz, the answers are going to be heavily biased towards those two specifically. Because that's what most people here know and use. That doesn't mean that it's the best for you. The tool you use depend on what you want to make and what you'll be comfortable and willing to work with. (There are people here that'd gladly recommend some HTML-based engine because it works for them, but that'd be a terrible idea if you asked me.)

Your first step should be to think about what you want to make and then choose a tool (it really doesn't matter which) that you think would be best suitable for it. I would google different tools and try to find good sources for advice and tutorials (in your case, preferably in French). Having access to a good source of information early on is really helpful.

Also, I've seen threads where people ask this question and get a long laundry list of things you need to learn before they can make a game, and I disagree with that approach. If you want to learn, all you need to do is start, presumably by downloading the prerequisite tools and playing around with them. No one knows anything when they start. You will learn along the way.
thank you for your answer i really like your approach, i start from nothing so i still like to learn the basics before doing anything now yes i'm not going to start anyhow, my post here is a first approach of this world (dev world), being a dick marked me and i would really like in the future after having acquired the necessary skills to work on a project of the same style

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Uh, there's some half-truth here. Yeah, there's a lot of devs around here that use Daz and Ren'py. But the reason why? Because most groups/teams here are made up of two people, at most. Daz and Ren'py give the easiest lunge into solo development. Ren'py rarely needs specific code beyond "Scene render_1 with dissolve", and Daz is rather easy to grasp once you get a handle on lighting, etc.

Whereas, the rest of the engines out there either require much more advanced code, are made with large teams/companies in mind, or just outright suck (this would be the RAGS/QSP/etc side of things). Unity off the top requires C## (iirc), not something many devs are going to know off the top. Unreal is a different beast. If you look at the UE projects around here, they either have a fairly large team or are still in demo/pre-alphas after years of development. I say all that to say that most people aren't using it out of choice, it's just set up to be the most realistic for a single/lone-wolf dev. I do agree on Twine, though. With Patreon coming down on it, it isn't the way to go.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Uh, there's some half-truth here. Yeah, there's a lot of devs around here that use Daz and Ren'py. But the reason why? Because most groups/teams here are made up of two people, at most. Daz and Ren'py give the easiest lunge into solo development. Ren'py rarely needs specific code beyond "Scene render_1 with dissolve", and Daz is rather easy to grasp once you get a handle on lighting, etc.

Whereas, the rest of the engines out there either require much more advanced code, are made with large teams/companies in mind, or just outright suck (this would be the RAGS/QSP/etc side of things). Unity off the top requires C## (iirc), not something many devs are going to know off the top. Unreal is a different beast. If you look at the UE projects around here, they either have a fairly large team or are still in demo/pre-alphas after years of development. I say all that to say that most people aren't using it out of choice, it's just set up to be the most realistic for a single/lone-wolf dev. I do agree on Twine, though. With Patreon coming down on it, it isn't the way to go.
See, this is kind of my point. The reasons you give for not using other engines are mostly based on assumptions rather than experience. It's easy to believe that your way is the easiest, since that was the path you took. I see this kind of reasoning a lot in these kinds of threads, that's all I'm saying.

In this particular case, if OP wants to make a visual novel then Ren'py probably is the most obvious choice, but maybe Daz isn't? Maybe 3D software shouldn't even be discussed until he's gotten familiar with Ren'py and written some test scenes in python? Taking things one step at a time would make things easier.

gingisep

Aug 6, 2020
My despicable opinion on the topic is the following.

If you want to deliver something: choose an easy path with semi-automated tool (already mentioned Ren'Py, GameMaker or even RPGMaker scripting is OK).

If you want to learn a craft: dig into informatics head-on and learn C++ or Rust first, melt your mind into abstractions, memory management, algorithm and design principles.

Going middle-way?
Take the web-dev way with HTML+JS (or better: TypeScript).

Why I do not endorse python?
(biased) because I find it a waste of time.
(unbiased) its designed against the idea of 'pseudo-code that works', has a ton of pitfalls and shield you from problems that you'll want to control yourself.

Reactions: Zenoxus