Becoming a dev

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
First hi and thanks to everyone who will take the time to read this.

So I played around with Daz and Ren'Py 1-2 years ago and I really enjoyed it, everything was cracked or free cause I didn't have good enough specs to render and so on.

I built a new pc a few weeks ago, (I can post the specs if you want) and I'm wondering how much I should be ready to invest to create a 3dcg game worthy of people's attention.
And is it realistic to expect a decent income from it, to at least refund my investment in the long run?

I pretty much have to learn everything, I'd rather join a dev team than starting everything on my own. Not sure how to join one with my skills and experience. The only value I'd bring is my pc, a lot of time, work, commitment and money investments.

All advice and help is welcome.

Reactions: HUTREK1

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Unless you can afford it, I would not invest anything.
DAZ3D has tons of free resources and you can import your own 3D models, too. I would start a project with those, see if you like doing it, see if people like your story, start nice and slow.

If after some months you still have the passion for it and people like what you are doing and supported you at least a couple of bucks, start investing those by purchasing the most needed assets (maybe compile a list while you develop) and continue from there. This is my suggestion at least, good luck!

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
Unless you can afford it, I would not invest anything.
DAZ3D has tons of free resources and you can import your own 3D models, too. I would start a project with those, see if you like doing it, see if people like your story, start nice and slow.

If after some months you still have the passion for it and people like what you are doing and supported you at least a couple of bucks, start investing those by purchasing the most needed assets (maybe compile a list while you develop) and continue from there. This is my suggestion at least, good luck!
Thanks a lot, yeah it sounds smart.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I'm still a baby dev myself so take my advice with a grain of salt but something of note is to remember that money is definitely not a guarantee, I can name 4 devs on this site who deserve so much more money than they currently get and that is just off the top of my head. Whether you decide to solo it or join a team a big part of the equation is constant work at improvement, renders, writing or coding you need to really take the time to hone your craft and really be the best you can be.

One small little nugget I can give you is that if you decide to go it alone and make a game DO NOT RUSH IT, a rushed or poor first release can be a death sentence and I can tell you from experience that crawling out of that hole can be rough.

I'm sure much more experienced devs will drop in and give their advice so I'll leave it here with one last thing. No matter what you need to try and have fun with development, it's not worth it otherwise.

Best of Luck!

yin-yang

Jul 23, 2017
I agree with Winterfire, it makes sense to first start a bit on your own, play around and see if its something that is fun for you or not.
Later on, you can check the recruitment and services page on this website. Over there, you can create a new post offering your services with some of your sample work or you can contact someone who is requesting for an artist with skill set similar to yours.
I like the idea of starting in a dev team rather than going on your own, as that will give you nice exposure to a lot of essential things that goes in a project life cycle.
Do note that it might take some time till you can earn a decent amount, but if you are dedicated, then it will pay off.
Hope this helps and Good luck!

• Red Heart
Reactions: SolarGuy

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
^ this.

And I'd be interested to know what hardware you got, especially if you plan to use Daz, there are some necessities to use it properly.

Reactions: SolarGuy

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
^ this.

And I'd be interested to know what hardware you got, especially if you plan to use Daz, there are some necessities to use it properly.
Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Graphic Card : RTX 2070 S
Motherboard : PRIME X570-PRO

looking to upgrade the graphic card at some point

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
I agree with Winterfire, it makes sense to first start a bit on your own, play around and see if its something that is fun for you or not.
Later on, you can check the recruitment and services page on this website. Over there, you can create a new post offering your services with some of your sample work or you can contact someone who is requesting for an artist with skill set similar to yours.
I like the idea of starting in a dev team rather than going on your own, as that will give you nice exposure to a lot of essential things that goes in a project life cycle.
Do note that it might take some time till you can earn a decent amount, but if you are dedicated, then it will pay off.
Hope this helps and Good luck!
It does help, thanks and good luck to you as well.

Reactions: yin-yang