Beerware license Blender-Daz

Blaaaa..

Jul 20, 2021
Hello
I have a question.
I'm new to Blender but I managed to take a scene from Blender and convert it to Daz Studio.
I have downloaded this scene for blender for free, but I was thinking of putting my conversion up for sale in one of the many pages that exist for it. As I said, I have downloaded it for free but I see that it has a "Beerware license" and it is not very clear to me what it means, in principle I understand that I could sell my conversion, but I would like someone who knows the subject to tell me if there would be any problem with copyright or something.
Thank you.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
Heh, nice to see that one still crops up.

The general gist is

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Note that this license does not give you copyright over the content.

You can use the content however you want but selling something you don't own the copyrights or explicit permission to sell is never recommended.

I would advise you to contact the copyright owner and ask for explicit permission to sell, otherwise just share it for free if you want to be safe.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
I would advise you to contact the copyright owner and ask for explicit permission to sell, otherwise just share it for free if you want to be safe.
Good point. You'll almost certainly get a reply to the effect of "Fine, as long as you include my attribution block." That said, in these days of corporate IP scumbaggery it helps to have an okay recorded.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I would advise you to contact the copyright owner and ask for explicit permission to sell, [...]
And he would probably don't get it.
There's a market even for Blender content, therefore if it was available for free, it's probably that the creator want it to be available that way.

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
There's a market even for Blender content, therefore if it was available for free, it's probably that the creator want it to be available that way.
Or it's being shared for free because the author doesn't actually own the copyright to it. I don't know where OP got this asset from, but there's only one site I know of that uses the Beerware license with 3D assets worth selling and it's ~90% video game rips and conversions FROM Daz. Even most original content there is based off some existing IP.

Obviously, contact the author to find out, but even then I would be very, very cautious about trying to sell anything I got from a site like that. Just because someone ripped Jill's apartment from the RE3 remake and released it under whatever license doesn't mean they actually have the copyright on it. Nor would the copyright extend to other assets used in that work, such as purchased textures or filler props.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Blaaaa..

Jul 20, 2021
Or it's being shared for free because the author doesn't actually own the copyright to it. I don't know where OP got this asset from, but there's only one site I know of that uses the Beerware license with 3D assets worth selling and it's ~90% video game rips and conversions FROM Daz. Even most original content there is based off some existing IP.

Obviously, contact the author to find out, but even then I would be very, very cautious about trying to sell anything I got from a site like that. Just because someone ripped Jill's apartment from the RE3 remake and released it under whatever license doesn't mean they actually have the copyright on it. Nor would the copyright extend to other assets used in that work, such as purchased textures or filler props.
Ok, thank you very much for the info, the truth is that you are right in most things, it is an environment of a game that has been converted for Blender, and I passed it to Daz with some tweaks, so I assume that the rights of The author does not belong to the person who extracted that map from the game to SFM, on the other hand there is an infinite number of content taken from games for sale, for a price, for programs like Daz, for example, and I suppose I have gotten carried away haha
Thank you, I am waiting for the author to give me his consent or not, but if he does give it to me, I don't know what I will do.
If in the end I share it for free will I have any problem, because im sure that "Beerware" let do that whitout problem, but the autor of the original game im not sure?

Last edited: