2D Beginner Artist Wanting Advice

ReMooseCode

Jul 23, 2022
I've been trying to improve my 2d art skills in order to make a game, but so far it's been pretty tough. Attached is basically a test drawing, where I've been trying a few techniques / different ways of drawing. However a problem I keep running in to is that I feel the position/shape of the eyes and face (not their quality which I know is bad) looks really uncanny for some reason. I don't know what to change to fix this so I was hoping someone else could point it out, or maybe I'm just seeing things.

ManuV

Mar 30, 2024
First of all, I would like to ask you if you make a sketch with guide lines first and then polish it or if you draw the final line directly.
If you want to make everything look correct and solid (especially if it is going to be to make a video game, and you want to make the characters consistent) I recommend that you always use sketches with guide lines and basic shapes that are easy to understand so that things don't end up crooked.
From what I can see at first glance, the face is a little off-center with respect to the chin. If you draw a guide cross on the face to position the parts well, you can accommodate or avoid that.

And personal recommendation, whenever you feel that something looks strange and you don't know what, or every x amount of time you spend drawing, flip the drawing, and you will surely see anything that is causing a problem.

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
Without much visual info (neck, and lineart for the sides of her face), it's hard to judge. Other than the nose, mouth and hair, her face is mirror-copied, right? I agree that the face looks off center, but then again if she's looking slightly to the side, then it should be fine imo. At a glance, it looks OK to me, but that's just me.

One general tip I'd say, is use references. Make sure to have a good grasp on basic face anatomy, so that no matter what style you draw (anime, realistic, semi realistic, w/e it is), you will always get the foundation right. I'd know because the first time I posted my drawing here, I got lectured on anatomy lmao. If I didn't get those anatomy criticisms, I wouldn't have improved.

The "quality" of the eyes, as you put it, is fine imo. However, you do need to redraw either pupil because they look really weird when they're mirrored, unless they're both perfectly oval, and both the irises are at the very center.