Beginner gamedev asking for advice.

Corvus G.

May 19, 2019
TL;DR: Would splitting a game into two make sense if you basically have two completely different things you want to do, that appeal to different people - that share characters and setting - but not story, scenes, or gameplay?

Long version: We're in the early stages of development, mostly doing character design and early art. We basically had two somewhat different ideas for where we wanted the plot and scenes to go, and decided to just give the player a choice. But now we're kind of realizing those two ideas appeal to two very different types of people, and that having them together in the same game would just not really make sense. In case you're wondering, one of the ideas was MC teacher x students harem, while the other one was not having a teacher, but instead just follow the students, no main mc, just make choices for everyone (kinda like Until Dawn and The Dark Pictures Anthology, but without the horror). As you might see the narrative, scenes, and the way to make decisions, and even the focus of the content would be completly different, so both things are kind of incompatible. However we do want to keep the characters and setting we already created.

Would it then make sense to just release two different games that share some of the assets and early set up? To me that feels kind of dirty, but it might be different for everyone else. Or should we just choose one to stick with and forget the other?

PD: in case you made it this far, here is an early preview of one of the characters

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I wouldn't recommend a beginner dev, even a small team, make two games simultaneously period. Even if they share assets, there's a ton more work then people realize that goes in to game development. Making two games straight from the get go isn't something you even know if you can manage yet.

Corvus G.

May 19, 2019
I wouldn't recommend a beginner dev, even a small team, make two games simultaneously period. Even if they share assets, there's a ton more work then people realize that goes in to game development. Making two games straight from the get go isn't something you even know if you can manage yet.
Yeah, we thought about that issue too, but we've done the math and it is manageable. It is mostly a vn, so there is not a lot of coding involved. The things that would require time - art and writing, we have fast, reliable people on. Like, that full body was done in a day. Other h scenes might take 3-4 days between drawing and animation, and i can do around 3k words a day. Even if we assume 2/3rds of that output it can be done.

Though I agree is going to be harder, kind of the whole reason advice is needed lol. Thank you by the way

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
My advice would be to settle on one idea and pursue it. Implementing two opposing ideas at once in one game is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. You'll waste time. Instead of focusing on developing one idea you will spend all your resources on two. Literally you will be making two games at the same time. The quality of both will drop significantly, the time between updates will increase (or the content for all paths will be minimal with the same time commitment). Do you need that?

2. With one idea you will scare off players who prefer the second one for the reasons in point 1.

TL;DR: No.

Reactions: Corvus G.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Pick one, keep the other idea for a side story after the first one is completed. Keep taking notes, and even write scenes/brainstorm ideas, and finally make your gdd once you're happy. Keep your gdd tidy and secure somewhere, and use it once your first game is completed.

Deleted member 6168082

Jun 5, 2023
Yeah, we thought about that issue too, but we've done the math and it is manageable. It is mostly a vn, so there is not a lot of coding involved. The things that would require time - art and writing, we have fast, reliable people on. Like, that full body was done in a day. Other h scenes might take 3-4 days between drawing and animation, and i can do around 3k words a day. Even if we assume 2/3rds of that output it can be done.

Though I agree is going to be harder, kind of the whole reason advice is needed lol. Thank you by the way
Well, even if you have "reliable" people, it doesn't mean stuff can't happen (life, drama, issues, disagreements etc) can't think positive without thinking about the negatives.

Make sure you really want to make the game/games and that you will see them through to the end, no matter what. Don't lie, cash grab, milk or be dishonest. Be up front about shit, show proof of things if you can (instead of walls of text about this/that, needing/wanting this that etc)

All these things you wrote are just that, words that you wrote. Let's see how it is when you actually start working. If you want to have more work to do and think you can manage it, go with 2. Since you are just starting off, I'd say start work on one game and see how it goes.

Research and more, check out other games, send a Dev a DM or make a post asking some stuff. You have many options at your fingertips.

Reactions: Corvus G.

Corvus G.

May 19, 2019
My advice would be to settle on one idea and pursue it. Implementing two opposing ideas at once in one game is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. You'll waste time. Instead of focusing on developing one idea you will spend all your resources on two. Literally you will be making two games at the same time. The quality of both will drop significantly, the time between updates will increase (or the content for all paths will be minimal with the same time commitment). Do you need that?

2. With one idea you will scare off players who prefer the second one for the reasons in point 1.

TL;DR: No.

Point 2 is something we considered, yeah. Even just the choice for certain things turn off some people, so I'm not surprised. Good to know others agree and it isn't all in our heads lol.

Pick one, keep the other idea for a side story after the first one is completed. Keep taking notes, and even write scenes/brainstorm ideas, and finally make your gdd once you're happy. Keep your gdd tidy and secure somewhere, and use it once your first game is completed.
That's probably what we'll do, yeah. Huge fan of your work btw, religiously waiting for Vox Gremory r3

Make sure you really want to make the game/games and that you will see them through to the end, no matter what. Don't lie, cash grab, milk or be dishonest. Be up front about shit, show proof of things if you can (instead of walls of text about this/that, needing/wanting this that etc)
That's a given, though a but unfortunate that it has to be said. Being upfront is why I made this post in the first place, instead of doing both and abandoning one I wanted to get some feedback and not fuck with anyone's expectations.

send a Dev a DM or make a post asking some stuff
I'm kinda (really) autistic so I forget you can just talk to people lol. Will do.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Winterfire