Beginners guide for rendering?

Thundas

Donor
Jul 16, 2017
Me and my old uni friend has some plans for a adult VN, he is very good at coding and all but no experience at all with graphics so i decided to help him out since i have quite a good computer for rendering.

So could anyone point me to the right direction so i can figure out what is the industry standard programs and practices for adult VN graphics? would help me tons to get started. Sorry if this is already pinned up somewhere. Budget would not be a problem if payment is required for some programs.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
If budget is no problem then you should consider , and
If your budget isn't that high then I'd recommend too, this is the most used program for 3D rendering in the indie adult game sector.

Thundas

Donor
Jul 16, 2017
hey thanks for the help guys, i'll figure the rest on my own since i have much free time. Autodesk & rendering using redshift seems great but im not looking to make a AAA game, but i have one more question, is there a batch render feature in daz cause i remember wasting alot of time manually changing scenes one by one with a similar program when it was done. Thanks again for all the help.

Reactions: Palanto

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
You're welcome ;) Yeah great that you ask, there is one for DAZ by now BUT it's not included in DAZ itself ;) Sooo...
for $11 on renderosity.

Reactions: Thundas

FishboneGamingLabs

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
I would pick Daz for renderings and Blender for adjusting 3d models and creating new scenes. Not sure which one should be learned first, both are important I guess, but Blender seems to have a very step curve.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As @FishboneGamingLabs says, definitely look at Daz Studio for rendering. It's free, and there are a ton of assets available that are compatible with it. You may not find you actually have to do any of your own modeling unless your needs are very specific. If you do need to model, Blender is also free, and there are a TON of tutorials on it out there. Any modeling program is going to have a learning curve. Blender's user interface is a bit, well, "unique," but you can do just about anything in it that you can do in the programs that charge a ton of money. At least, anything that someone starting out would be likely to need. But the odds are good that you can go far with just Daz and the resources that are available for it - virtually all the "realistic" games you'll see here were done with it.

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
As @FishboneGamingLabs says, definitely look at Daz Studio for rendering. It's free, and there are a ton of assets available that are compatible with it. You may not find you actually have to do any of your own modeling unless your needs are very specific. If you do need to model, Blender is also free, and there are a TON of tutorials on it out there. Any modeling program is going to have a learning curve. Blender's user interface is a bit, well, "unique," but you can do just about anything in it that you can do in the programs that charge a ton of money. At least, anything that someone starting out would be likely to need. But the odds are good that you can go far with just Daz and the resources that are available for it - virtually all the "realistic" games you'll see here were done with it.
So is it possible to use DAZ assets in Blender, like through conversion? Any caveats? I'm thinking of playing with some models, and I find that DAZ has more of what I need, but I'd like to stay in the Blender environment for as long as I can until rendering elsewhere, DAZ, etc.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
So is it possible to use DAZ assets in Blender, like through conversion? Any caveats? I'm thinking of playing with some models, and I find that DAZ has more of what I need, but I'd like to stay in the Blender environment for as long as I can until rendering elsewhere, DAZ, etc.
Yes, you can export Daz objects to Blender. How you go about it depends on what you're going to do with it. For example, some of the PA's who produce morphs or such do the work in Blender (export OBJ to Blender, tweak it, re-import to Daz using Morph Loader Pro). It's also possible to export Daz objects to Blender and render them there. You might want to check out , for example.

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
Yes, you can export Daz objects to Blender. How you go about it depends on what you're going to do with it. For example, some of the PA's who produce morphs or such do the work in Blender (export OBJ to Blender, tweak it, re-import to Daz using Morph Loader Pro). It's also possible to export Daz objects to Blender and render them there. You might want to check out , for example.
What does PA mean?
I was thinking the OBJ route. Maya had something annoying, like is it true there is no way without having Maya to convert their files to OBJ or 3DS? I have the Maya assets in .mb format.
Wow (link)! What an incredible resource! Thanks!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Sorry - "PA" is the common abbreviation used in the Daz forums for the people who produce content sold by Daz. I think it stands for "Published Artist" or "Professional Artist."

No question that you can go Daz -> Blender via the OBJ route. Sickleyield has several "how to make a morph" videos on Youtube in which she does exactly that. One quirk is that Daz and Blender use different scales and have different default orientations, but you can usually fix that by choosing the correct settings on export. Or, if you're round-tripping back to Daz, it may not matter.

Getting geometry to transfer is pretty easy, from what I've seen. Getting textures is slightly trickier, and rigging and morphs are worse. I suspect that if you need the latter, you'd be better off going with FBX, but since I'm not much of a Blender guy, your mileage may vary.

I know nothing about Maya, so I can't help you there.

The folks on the Daz forum are extremely helpful - if you post over there describing exactly what you're trying to do, I'm sure there's someone who can instruct you appropriately.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
GTX 1070Ti should do a fine job rendering DAZ-content. You will be limited by the regular things, like VRAM, but that is true for all cards, and 1070Ti does have a decent amount.

King of Lust

Game Developer
May 10, 2017
GTX 1070Ti should do a fine job rendering DAZ-content. You will be limited by the regular things, like VRAM, but that is true for all cards, and 1070Ti does have a decent amount.
thanks for the info but i have no idea how to render a good quality image. my images that i render is of low quality can you guide me what pixel size, lights and resources are needed to render a image like this. i will be really helpful