Beginning DAZ problems, rendering goes to black and cpu 100%

YeOldeRusty1

Mar 17, 2019
Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

I recently started to fiddle around with daz, but encountered some problems for which I couldn't find an answer
After reading some tutorials here, I noticed that my device is not the most suitable for rendering... But it is all I have at the moment and I just want to practice.
NVIDIA GTX 1050TI 4GB, I7-8750H 2.2GHz, 16gb memory.

For some reason, during the iray rendering, the image just sort of fades to black? I was not able to find an answer for this.
15 iterations: 1.png
31 iterations:
2.png

The second thing is, my GPU has 4GB of dedicated memory. When starting to render a scene, the task manager indicates that ~3GB of the dedicated memory is being used. Everything is good and happy, CPU is at ~30% (This all was after finding out that my drivers were not up to date and iray immediately went to my CPU)
But after a while, the CPU goes to 100% while the GPU still has 1GB of memory that is not assigned. Is there something I can do about this?

For both scenes, I was using the auto headlamp iirc.

Sorry if this question was already answered, thank you for reading,

Rusty

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
In the "Render Settings" tab, under "Advanced", make sure you have the CPU option unchecked, this way you are telling DAZ not to use the CPU for rendering (only the GPU... has to appear just below, otherwise you have a problem).

Now, even if you do this, if at any time the scene exceeds the memory capacity of your GPU (VRAM), DAZ will stop rendering with your GPU and will do it with the CPU.
To check this, task manager is not very good, I recommend you to use the free program GPU-Z; with it, in the tab "Sensors" you can see exactly what use DAZ makes of your GPU (the core should be above 95%) and what memory it uses at that time.

As far as light is concerned, it is generally not advisable to use the camera's own light (also, perhaps your problem with those blacker bands is that not enough light arrives). I recommend you to use HDRI to start with because it's a light that will come from 360º and will illuminate your character better.
To activate this, go to the "Render Settings" tab, then to the "Editor" tab, and to the "Environment" option; finally, in "Environment Mode" select "Dome and Scene" or "Dome Only".

YeOldeRusty1

Mar 17, 2019
Thank you both! Glad to hear about the 1050TI :D
I didn't know about the GPU-Z sensor tab, now I understand what is going on.
The light also worked, I don't know how that slipped past me!