Believable world in historic (say, up to 19th century) settings in adult games?

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
Okay, just a quick one. Are there any games set in the past which have a believable setting, and that includes correct social dynamics, structures, period clothing, grooming and attitude to sex?

A side note about fantasy worlds (which include magic). I'm not talking about them. Fantasy has its own problems, mainly because developers are shit at creating a believable world. Their setting is usually "medieval Earth but with magic." (Same trope like elves are humans, just slimmer, taller and with pointy ears). Magic would have such profound effect on the world, making it "our world but with magic" is a cheap and lazy cop out.

I'm asking if there are any believable games set in historic time periods. I certainly didn't find any, maybe you can help.
Just to quickly cover the bullet points in an example of a medieval setting, assuming the main character is a noble:
• Social dynamics: Feudalism. You own some estates, but you also have a feudal lord. No conscription, the war is a privilege of the few, who fight to preserve their right to the land. You subjects cannot be recruited to fight in your wars and they have immunity to politics. Wars are fought by men, and only men train to fight. Knowledge, economy and politics are limited to only some social classes and handled by clergy, professional clerks and high profile traders. Women of sufficiently high birth have broad access to knowledge and many can read and write (as opposed to their knight husbands who are usually illiterate).
• Structures: As in architecture and how the world looks like. Crop rotation means that fields look very different and create colorful strips of land when viewed from afar or from above. Castles are uncommon. They're a defensive structure and are not built where there is no risk of invasion. Nobles live in manor houses. If they do own a keep, it's not likely their permanent house, only temporary if they're besieged and expect to wait it out. The keep is certainly not a huge structure with floor area of thousands of square feet (or hundreds of square meters) spread across multiple levels, but they're very modest. Most have no external walls and only consist of a fortified keep with a single common room. If you take a look at the Tower of London, which is one of the largest castles of its time, the external walls enclose a fairly huge area, but its floor space is similar to a large house today, but only because it was meant to hold out a siege, so it needed to house defenders and field workers to provide food.
• Period clothing: Sure, fancy dresses. But no underwear, no lingerie, nothing. Underwear wasn't a thing until the 19th century. Underpants were worn by common prostitutes and young girls.
• Personal grooming: Attitude to bathing was constantly changing, so no specific advice can be given. But shaving? Men only and head only. Nobody shaved or waxed their pubes, armpits, arms or legs. Two reasons: No tools existed to do so cleanly and safely; Pubic region was not for show, so it didn't exist as a topic to be discussed.
• Attitude to sex: No contraceptives means no free sex. Having sex=having babies and having babies requires money, time and effort. Without a husband to support her, a woman would be unable to get food and basic necessities. Unless a woman was a blathering idiot or under duress, she would not willingly engage in an affair. Concubines? Sure, if you're a king or a very high ranking noble, but this is hardly a glamorous job and religion is out to get you. Unofficial mistresses? Goes back to what to do when a baby comes, she gets disposed of and goes back to her family and now she has to explain herself.

I know it has the trappings of a very boring adult game if you want it to include popular themes like a harem and fucking everything that moves, which brings me to the point: Why even make an adult game set in a historic time period when that time period is completely not conducive to the game you're making?
It's like building a plane, only you want it to be a submarine, too.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
I'm not talking about them. Fantasy has its own problems, mainly because developers are shit at creating a believable world.
The reason you do not see them is because you cannot imagine how utterly Boring the past was. And I am not talking about the sex.
You pretty much need magic to kickstart society into something decent.

I know it has the trappings of a very boring adult game if you want it to include popular themes like a harem and fucking everything that moves, which brings me to the point: Why even make an adult game set in a historic time period when that time period is completely not conducive to the game you're making?
There was plenty of fucking around, it's just that while our modern society is very permissive in some aspects it's less permissive in depicting some more "historical" aspects.
Let's just say there is a reason War cropped up here and then.

• Angry
Reactions: Akamari

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Why even make an adult game set in a historic time period when that time period is completely not conducive to the game you're making?
It's like building a plane, only you want it to be a submarine, too.
It's called fantasy and imagination

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
The reason you do not see them is because you cannot imagine how utterly Boring the past was.
Yep. And that's precisely why I cannot imagine why anyone would want to make a game set in the past. Almost every game in a historic setting is the same thing: present, but people live in castles and wear fancy costumes. Come to think of it, every game set in the future is the same thing: present, but people live in spaceships and wear spacesuits.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
The reason you do not see them is because you cannot imagine how utterly Boring the past was. And I am not talking about the sex.
You pretty much need magic to kickstart society into something decent.
The past boring? really? You want to say all the modern stories here about highschool crushes and a 9 to 5 job are so interesting and captivating... You got so much options for a more interesting setting for an historic story, like pirates, boozerunners in the 1920s, The Wild West, or even just being a pesant in the Roman or Acient Greek eras where sex was much more open and accepted. It requires a different MC and a different story arc, but history has so much options for interesting stories.

The main reason historic games arent made is that there are very limited amount of DAZ assets for it. People make a game with what assets are available and the vast majority are for modern settings.

As for OP I wouldnt say they need to be exactly accurate, as it will become tedious en annoying. I once started a book about world exploration around the 17th century, but it was writting in old english. It was the most annoying and frustrating book I have ever read in a long shot, and actually never finished it. Some modernization is fine for historic stories, like spoken langauge and grooming (some more hair around the genitally area is fine but I wouldnt want to see fully hairy women).

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Most people playing my game find the setting quite believable.

But there is just a common reason amateur adult game devs (specially working on daz3d) don't make historic games... they can't find assets for it, as Synx said, nor want to take the time to make their own assets.

Probably the reason fantasy is more common is because you can throw into it any asset you find and it's fine. Nothing wrong with it generally, and there are reasons why people find fantasy more alluring.
But I prefer Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis before LOTR.

And I like to take the time for make the assets to make it more believable. Not perfect, but... I enjoy it.
PenkethDay.png

Reactions: Droid Productions

Sinfall Studios

Game Developer
May 31, 2020
I had thought about making a game similar to this at one point - you playing more of a Genghis Khan type figure who has the option to build an empire from scratch, conquered from medieval lords. No orcs, no fairies, just good honest grit and swords and blood. The adult element would come through the slave empire you build and the harem you gather around yourself as you rise in power. I may well make it one day when I finish my current game!