Seeking Best Combat in a Ren'Py game?

Revel!

May 27, 2020
I'm currently developing a game and am on the fence about adding a combat system to it. I'd like to check out some existing Ren'Py games with combat, to decide if I actually want to add something like that my own game. So far I've only played Being a DIK which does have a neat little combat mini-game, but I'm interested to see what other combat systems could potentially exist in a Ren'Py game.

What good Ren'Py games are out there that have a good combat system that you'd recommend? It could be turn-based or action or whatever.

How do you personally feel about combat in a visual novel?
Would that be a feature that would make the game stand out to you? If so, would it stand out in a good or bad way?

silversurfer1

Oct 9, 2019
I'd look at Ataegina and Monster Girl Dreams. The former has a few fights (maybe more in updates since I played) while the latter is completely focused around battles.

My personal 2 cents on combat: I play these "games" for escapist/power fantasy (in addition to fapping). I'm not looking for a challenge here and, to be honest, I don't really want much chance of losing. So if it's there and it can make me feel like a bad-ass it can add to my experience, otherwise it's probably just a frustration or something I'm going to cheat or savescum to get around.

Something I do really like is when you can get different outcomes based on your "stats". Ataegina, for example, has a few spots where you have to pick which school of magic to use to deal with an enemy and, if you're skill in that school is too low, you die. A game that could take that idea and expand it and really have 2 (or more) equally interesting alternative outcomes to a fight would stand out and be awesome (to me).

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Lust & Power has a combat system that's used all the time and is the core mechanic in the game. I can't say how good it is now because it keeps changing and I haven't played it in a while.